BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know i have had lots of small running / engine management issues ever since i brought this motor.
At the moment the eml light comes on intermittantly and if i don't switch it off it goes off after a couple of days.
I get bank 1 & 2 too lean codes.
I can't find an air leak...(any ideas on good ways to pin point them would be nice )
Now im not sure if this car is making me parionoid :shifty:but it seems to be smoking loads when im sitting in traffic....its white smoke , and when i look around at other cars they smoke no where near as much....
Could there be a link ??
It uses a fair amount of oil , but aparrently they all do..and the smoke isn't blue at all..
And when i pull away the revs dip down to about 500rpm then pick back up again..
(in the past 6 months i have changed , temp sensor ,purge valve ,a coil pack ,a cam sensor ,fuel filter ,air filter,plugs)
i'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it ..i love the drive but not all the shit that comes with it..
cheers
Luke

·
Registered
163 Posts
As some of you may know i have had lots of small running / engine management issues ever since i brought this motor.
At the moment the eml light comes on intermittantly and if i don't switch it off it goes off after a couple of days.
I can't find an air leak...(any ideas on good ways to pin point them would be nice )
Now im not sure if this car is making me parionoid :shifty:but it seems to be smoking loads when im sitting in traffic....its white smoke , and when i look around at other cars they smoke no where near as much....
Could there be a link ??
It uses a fair amount of oil , but aparrently they all do..and the smoke isn't blue at all..
And when i pull away the revs dip down to about 500rpm then pick back up again..
(in the past 6 months i have changed , temp sensor ,purge valve ,a coil pack ,a cam sensor ,fuel filter ,air filter,plugs)
i'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it ..i love the drive but not all the shit that comes with it..
cheers
Luke
could be your O2 sensor? with regards to smoke, its not just on cold start is it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be your O2 sensor? with regards to smoke, its not just on cold start is it?
smokes in traffic all the time...
I get bank 1 and bank 2 too lean fault codes together...I think if it was an o2 sensor would be one bank at a time...and if i look at the live data all 4 seem to be switching fine.
Cheers
Luke

·
Banned
344 Posts
Could there be a link ??
cheers
Luke

With regards to the smoke.....do you do a lot of short journeys?
I know what you mean about the smoke.........most beemers to seem to be smokey than other cars on cold days.
how much oil are you having to top up with and how often?
When you fire the car up the first thing in the morining, do u get any blue smoke at all?

With regards to the blip in revs when you pull off and with the codes you are getting.......it does sound like an air leak.

When you had the car's live readings checked, did the MAF seem to be ok?
these can aslo play up and will not kick up an error code directly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my jouneys are about 8 miles to and from work.
i put about a litre in every 1000 miles.
no blue smoke.
i am a bit wary of the maf ...it had one replaced before i brought it , and its non genuine..but i checked the live readings on it myself and also checked them on my friends z3 with the same engine to compare , they were about the same at the same rev ranges. is there any way other it can be checked?

·
Banned
344 Posts
my jouneys are about 8 miles to and from work.
i put about a litre in every 1000 miles.
no blue smoke.
i am a bit wary of the maf ...it had one replaced before i brought it , and its non genuine..but i checked the live readings on it myself and also checked them on my friends z3 with the same engine to compare , they were about the same at the same rev ranges. is there any way other it can be checked?
Oil consumption is ok for what you've got..............not really any other way of checking the MAF that you have realy, these things are tempremantal on the beemers,,,,,,,,if it was me- I would swap it from another car with same MAF and see what happens. As for the smoke I really woudn't worry to be honest unless you are losing water at all?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
some steam is inevitable in this cold weather.
if you are running rich then there could be unburnt fuel vapour too.
have you had a new air filter at some point recently?...this may help
also,if the maf is giving spurious readings that may well cause problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts