BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had
a running problem with my engine for a while now, it's ticking over rough and every few miles the engine management light comes on and the car goes into limp mode, when this happens all I have to do is turn it off and on again and its fine. It's been plugged in and I've changed the ex cam sensor no change. Ive checked everything I can find on here but I've had no luck. The only things ive got left to do is unplug the maf and I've noticed one of the clips missing off the air filter box and it's not sitting down quite right. Any help would be fantastic as I'm doin a few miles at the wknd. Thanks alot. Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
without the full codes ya stabbing around in the dark..

was the cam sensor an OEM BMW one??

unplug the MAF (car will be in limp mode) see what happens if the emissions light stops coming on it points towards vacuum leaks or a dodgy MAF..if it stays on and the problems persists the problem lies elsewhere..

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
As Doggy has said, was it a OEM/Genuine sensor or a cheapy?

And have you had the fault codes read again since?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that il give it a try. When I read the codes it said ex cam sensor and misfire cylinder 5 but now after changing the sensor it's coming up with no codes. It stopped the misfire which is why I read them in the first place. This is another problem all together. . Oh and no it wasn't an oem part but it's seems to be working fine. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
i wouldnt rulethe sensor out myself if its a cheap aftermarket sensor and you have other problems, they can cause alsorts of weird happenings..and are notorious for being crap..

an iffy exhaust sensor can also cause sluggish low end power and missfires and lumpy erratic running amongst other things..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks alot. Have you got the name of a good sensor I don't really want to be paying BMW prices unless I have to. Cheers for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts