BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my how-to for replacing the oil filter housing gasket,(sorry no pics).
First remove the air filter intake,fitted to the slam-panel.It has 3 plastic plugs securing it in place.Next,remove the air filter top,including undoing the hose for throttle body,and the plug for MAF sensor.The bottom part of the air box is secured with 2 10mm bolts on the inner-wing,this then lifts out of the engine bay.Next job is remove the auxilliary belt,by way of 16mm socket on the tensioner,just turn it clockwise and remove the belt(mind your fingers).Remove the power steering reservoir,held on by 2 13mm bolts.There are 2 13mm bolts holding the tensioner to engine,undo these,and lift out tensioner.You then have to undo the main lead from alternator,with a 17mm spanner,and remove the plug beside it.2 16mm bolts secure the alternator,take these out,and wiggle out of the housing,it's a bit tight,but will come off.The power steering pump next,3 13mm bolts hold this,1 underneath,1 at the back,and 1 at the front of pump,no need to disconnect pipes,you can leave it hanging.There are 2 plugs on the oil filter housing to pull off,by way of the usual metal spring clip,then undo the oil feed pipe from the rear of housing,being careful not to lose the washers from the banjo-bolt.Lastly,undo the 6 13mm bolts which hold the housing to the engine block.After cleaning off oil and dirt,replace the housing gasket,and replace everything in reverse order.Hope this helps some of you,I've never done this job before,so was quite impressed.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A couple of minor diferences...

Having had the gasket for the last year, I finally did this job today. Using Paul's guide (printed off) it all went well. But it seems there's a few differences between his car & mine (although both are M54 engines) so I thought I'd post them on here:

Next job is remove the auxilliary belt, by way of 16mm socket on the tensioner, just turn it clockwise and remove the belt (mind your fingers)
My engine has 2 pulleys - the top one is the idler pulley, the bottom one is the tensioner. You flip the plastic cap off the tensioner pulley, put an 8mm allen key in there, and turn clockwise to compress the tensioner - off slips the belt!
There are 2 13mm bolts holding the tensioner to engine,undo these,and lift out tensioner
There were 3x 13mm bolts on mine.
2 16mm bolts secure the alternator,take these out,and wiggle out of the housing,it's a bit tight,but will come off
The idler pulley needs to come off too as the 16mm bolt that goes through it (under the dust cover) also holds the top of the alternator in place.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts