BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 E46 Touring car. It has done 102,000 approx.
In DEcember 2008, I had a new steering pump fitted because the steering suddenly became extremely stiff.
The garage confirmed the diagnosis and fitted a new pump.
A couple of weeks ago, the same problem happened. I took it back to the garage. They said it would need a new steering pump. I said That should not happen after 18 months (8,000 miles). They said their supplier only gaurantees parts for 12 months. I am now going to take it to another garage and have the work done, and sue the first garage for the cost.
I know the law on sale of goods etc (I am a retired solicitor), but I need advice on how long a steering pump should last.
Can I find someone who would give an expert opinion?
Many thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
mine is on its original at 158k, id say at least 100,000 miles but some can go before.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
depends if one fitted was a recon pump warranty on a recon units aint worth wiping your harris on..

if it was new i would be not happy..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments.

The invoice says "LUK541013110 P/A Steering Pump - £292.50 + VAT." I was alos charged £21.48 + VAT for a pulley and £10.50 + VAT for auto trans fluid

To me that says "new", but I'm going to ask the new garage to give the old pump to me and we will see.

FRom the digging around I've done, LUK seems to be a pretty respectable company. Why would they only guarantee a pump for 12 months?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
wouldnt suprise me if theyve dicked ya with a recon and trousered the extra dosh..

im a cynical swine don't trust garages at all..

you should of asked for old pump its your property they prolly trousered some more dosh flogging it to a recon outfit..

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should stick with BMW parts to avoid uncertainty. If you drive like a solicitor and not like a nutter boy racer, then the BMW pump should last a life time. Things often break because they are incompatible. Buy your own BMW parts and take them to the garage next time if you want it reasoably cheap and compatible at the same time.

In any case even BMW parts don't carry more than 12 months of warranty. But as long as you use the right parts, I really don't see the need for warranty. In my experience, BMW makes good stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts