BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I had a serious break on the motorway, my viscous fan unscrewed itself and smashed everything - radiator, water pump, cowling, blades itself. I repaired them, changed broken parts on the brand new ones, started the engine and there appear a metal noise in the intake manifold. 2day disassembled it a bit and found some stuff (might be metal pieces) which are shown on the pic. any help with this one will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 17013

View attachment 17014

View attachment 17015

View attachment 17016

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an air filter housing is ok, no damage, as most of it took an expansion tank, but its ok as well. ill check the filter itself, might find somethin there. regarding the noise its almost the same as on the link below, but i dont know about the oil noise, havent checked it on mine, but there is a possibility, as other sound is the same.

YouTube - BMW 320i E46 M52TU Engine Problem

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The dying seal (animal!) noise of the crankcase ventilation valve (or cyclone valve), under the inlet manifold on the inlet side. Pig of a job. If there's bits of metal still about, I wouldn't run the engine any more, but start stripping off the intake pipework & cleaning it all out. The air flow meter has a gauze on it, so some metal may be stuck there. Work right down to the throttle body and idle control valve.

What I was more curious about is that you have a viscous fan - your car is a manual, right? I thought they all had electric fans? Also, the 320i with the M52 engine (2.0) was never sold in the E46 in the UK - being a 2001 I would have thought it would be a M54 engine (2.2 litre). Can you confirm which engine it is? The M54 has a fly-by-wire throttle, the M52 is a cable.

Putting the last 7 digits of your chassis no. into www.realoem.com will also tell you.

HTH

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Unless the fan cut into the airbox or pipes leading to the manifold or panifold itself then the fan catastrophe and this are unrelated to each other as there is no way for fan bits or related bits to have got inside.

Doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Just probably means you are assosiating one thing with another that is probably coincidence

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dying seal (animal!) noise of the crankcase ventilation valve (or cyclone valve), under the inlet manifold on the inlet side. Pig of a job. If there's bits of metal still about, I wouldn't run the engine any more, but start stripping off the intake pipework & cleaning it all out. The air flow meter has a gauze on it, so some metal may be stuck there. Work right down to the throttle body and idle control valve.

What I was more curious about is that you have a viscous fan - your car is a manual, right? I thought they all had electric fans? Also, the 320i with the M52 engine (2.0) was never sold in the E46 in the UK - being a 2001 I would have thought it would be a M54 engine (2.2 litre). Can you confirm which engine it is? The M54 has a fly-by-wire throttle, the M52 is a cable.

Putting the last 7 digits of your chassis no. into www.realoem.com will also tell you.

HTH
This a huge problem I c... I thought maybe i dont have enough oil pressure or somethin, so some metal is scratching and stuff.... the video is just a random video from the youtube, but it sounds the same as mine. I have a M54B22 2.2.

even if i clean everythin, there still is possibility, that it will continue scratchi, wont it?

to others: yea, viscous clutch is still spinning and probably yea, its just a coincidence, but before this incident everythin was cool, no sound, no anythin, straight after i started it for the first time, all this crap started to happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any split intake pipes? from one of your pictures it looks so?
yea, which is near the throttle, splits, i suppose is an idle thing, coz its broken and the engine is stalling, but i bought a new one, should work. but the sound is still crap...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Are there any metal bits on the air filter or in the pipes running from the filter and up to the throttle body e.t.c.?

I'm kinda thinking along the lines that the metal bits may have got sucked in the split pipe....... due to whatever failed at the front.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have a look on your VIN plate, left hand side of the plate, there will be a engine number, will either be 206S4 or 226S1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coz the engine is M54B22 2.2 litres, it has a viscous fan.... :D

I was thinking, maybe because of the oil hunger or somethin pistons are scratchin the walls and these metal bits are sucked into the intake monifold? can it be possible?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
coz the engine is M54B22 2.2 litres, it has a viscous fan.... :D

I was thinking, maybe because of the oil hunger or somethin pistons are scratchin the walls and these metal bits are sucked into the intake monifold? can it be possible?
Highly unlikely, the pistons draw in air from the inlet manifold, not the opposite way round. :thumbsup

You need to find out why the viscous fan unwound in the first place. The fan is designed so that if it gets jammed it will tighten onto the pump, not the opposite way round.

When you had the engine running since you replaced the broken bits, was the noise immediate? What gear were you in when it all went wrong? Were you changing gear at the time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, i know this. just a thought... coz there is definately somethin scratchin. have u seen the video, which i posted, the same sound (excluding oil cap opening)

on the fan, there is no 2 bits, which unbalance it and on the high revs it probably vibrates, which is causing self-unscrewing... this one is going to be changed as well.

so basically, when i changed a water pump and a fan, i started the engine, this sound appears straight away (maybe it also broke an oil pipe or somethin or an oil pump, dono), a car was on the idle working order, when it warms up, sound is becoming less noticable, but still u can hear it. on a cold start its very bad. i took a car for a run, iy over heated, coz the radiator was broken, so i changed it as well... now took apart those pieces which are on the photos and saw those bits...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get all the inlet tract off and clean it up, use a magnet on the swarf - is it metalic or has the fan smacked some kind of intake carbon deposits/soot lose? Most of the intake is plastic so anything is coming in from after the air filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so i checked an air filter, its cool, clean, as it should be and no sign of any bits. on M54 intake manifold, above the throttle body, there is another hole (which is on the pic on page 1) which is actually in a manifold body. the bits are there, so now im trying to remove the intake manifold, but it seems a bit tricky.

Can anyone please post a DIY for the intake manifold removal for M54B22, as i spend already couple of hours looking for a helpful one?

Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts