BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

Need some advice on this - my local indie recently proceeded to destroy my turbo whilst "burning" in a new CAT on my exhaust. To be fair they admitted to it immediately, paid for a replacement and delivered it to my door good as new 3 days later.

Problem is, took it for a drive tonight and it just feels really really unresponsive, I really had to hit the pedal hard and hold it to get any significant response. The power is there but takes and age to seem to come, seems to be bujilding up but not instant... is this an issue with the new turbo? Does it need coding or something to work properly? Do you just have to let these things "run in" and it'll get gradually faster over the next few weeks?

I know the car has had a new turbo before and that wasn 't a BMW one, and neither is the one they have fitted, but I have never known the car feel so unresponsive. I've driven 1.6 Focus TDCi's with more response on the pedal.

Also, there's a definite hissing noise coming from the engine bay when I lifted the lid to have a gander after my run (whilst I was letting the turbo run down). Seriously worried they've botched the replacement or done some other damage when the turbo blew originally.

Can anyone give me some thoughts/advice?

CL.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
All

Need some advice on this - my local indie recently proceeded to destroy my turbo whilst "burning" in a new CAT on my exhaust. To be fair they admitted to it immediately, paid for a replacement and delivered it to my door good as new 3 days later.

Problem is, took it for a drive tonight and it just feels really really unresponsive, I really had to hit the pedal hard and hold it to get any significant response. The power is there but takes and age to seem to come, seems to be bujilding up but not instant... is this an issue with the new turbo? Does it need coding or something to work properly?

I know the car has had a new turbo before and that wasn 't a BMW one, and neither is the one they have fitted, but I have never known the car feel so unresponsive. I've drivenm 1.6 Focus TDCi's with more response on the pedal.

Also, there's a definite hissing noise coming from the engine bay when I lifted the lid to have a gander after my run (whilst I was letting the turbo run down). Seriously worried they've botched the replacement or done some other damage when the turbo blew originally.

Can anyone give me some thoughts/advice?

CL.

sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere...............may well be causing the loss of boost........I would have a quick butchers over the engine bay while the car is running and try and pin point the hissing...........look around the inlet manifold and the boost pipes from the turbo to the intercooler.

If you can't see anything obvious then just take it back to the garage dude and let them sort it under warranty:thumbsup

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Slacker-ray, makes sense I guess. The power is defiunitely there, it just seems to take a wee bit longer than it should to get there, before the response on the pedal was instant whereas now it's foot flat to the floor for a couple of seconds before it seems to pick up and go... then it flies.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cheers Slacker-ray, makes sense I guess. The power is defiunitely there, it just seems to take a wee bit longer than it should to get there, before the response on the pedal was instant whereas now it's foot flat to the floor for a couple of seconds before it seems to pick up and go... then it flies.

you sure its noy just the turbo lag?.................but still mate, there really shouldn't be any hissing.

take a butchers mate and let us know how you get on:thumbsup

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah... not turbo lag... it seems to be down about 20-30bhp since the turbo was changed, not responsive at all.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Does sound like a pipe is off or a leak somewhere, definitely take it back there and tell them it's not right.

What I want to know is how in hell did they kill the turbo?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car in garage today for them to investigate. As for the turbo...

Well.... they told me (after fitting a new CAT) that it had to be "burnt in" to activate the sensors properly, basically running the car at 3-3.5k revs for a couple of minutes. Now this is a 320d with 84k on the clock so it's prime turbo failure territory - they knew that, but instead of letting it warm up, or gradually winding the turbo up, he admitted one of their little chav trainees jumped in it (it was -3 that day) started it and revved it hard immediately for 3 minutes!... anyway apparently after about 2 minutes the bearings started to go, and they said the oil seperator was blocked and had destroyed the turbo.

All sounds a wee bit shoddy to me, what do you think Ronnie? Could the turbo going have caused any other retrospective damage?

Good to see you back on the forum BTW!

CL.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
News from the garage, there was a hose loose, car is now running well. Few!

Ronnie - any thoughts on retrospective damage? They have cleaned out all the lines, cleaned the EGR valve etc to prevent it happeneing again but is there anything which might have been damaged by the turbo going?

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi
i work for a bmw dealer and i have never heard of having to "burn in a cat" sounds very strange to me i have fitted probbly hundreds of cats and turbos as both quite common on bmw's to fail and have never done this so called "burning in" never heard it mentions when down at bmw itself or anywere else for that matter. the only test i have know to do anthing like this is when testing the air-flow meter and thats on the governer but only for 30 sec max

sounds a very strange thing to do :confused

glad its sorted and u have had a turbo foc :hihi wouldnt of thought it would do anyother damage

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I presume they changed the oil and filter? should be a must.

I thought it would be a pipe as well :thumbsup naughty garage not checking it over/road testing it properly :frown

1 - 10 of 10 Posts