BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a E46 diesel tourer 132,345 miles on the clock and due a service in 2,005 miles. I have noticed that it has gradually taken longer and longer to start over the last 14 days. When it did start, I had massive clouds of exhaust gases puff into the air and I had to pump the accelerator for it to start. Now, it will not start at all but I am getting the initial ignition lights appear as normal after the first turn of the key. Every time I try to start it, the battery is simply getting more and more drained. It passed it's MOT a month ago with no problems with the exhaut emissions. What is the problem? Does anybody have any ideas!!!!!!!!::frown

·
Registered
788 Posts
i dont know if you have noticed that recently the weather has taken a turn for the worse, and the way it is it also means that the temperatures have dropped immensly, and your car is a diesel is it not ? well diesel cars wont start if the diesel isnt pre-heated also diesel can freeze in sub temperatures so i would be inclined to get the glow plugs checked and/or changed the mileage of the car has no significance on the starting of the car as this can happen to a car with half of your mileage.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi Alcondon

I have moved this to the right forum for you.
The E46 tech forum :thumbsup

OK, firstly you need to get the fault codes read.

I will post the link in a second.

After this is done post all codes and descriptions the garage gives you (if they give you the descriptions) up on here.

There is a wide array of possibles.
Was the car driving fine once it was started?

I would have the glow plug relay checked and also the glow plugs themselves (service item anyway) but the fault code test will give us a lot more clues... and is cheap at twice the price :thumbsup (compared to unneeded parts being fitted etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for help!!!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES TO MY THREAD!!

(More info) Once my car is started, it runs fine i.e. it doesn't judder or struggle on low revs.

It is in the garage now and I await that magic call..."I have good news and bad news....". I am hoping that it might be as simple as a knackered battery but .......... I am not holding my breath!!! :)

Also, I have seen that quite a few other BMW's on other threads have reported juddering on braking at lowish speeds. Mine also has this problem. Is it simply warped discs or are there many other possibilities?? I have recently had fitted new alloy wheels and the juddering has reduced by 20%. Anybody else had this problem????

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey ive just had the same problem with my e46 compact . showed up low rail pressure an did exactly the same as urs. found out in the end that it was 2 of the injectors. it cost me just under 400 to get fixed. hope it might shine some light on the subject.
get the codes posted up and then might be able to help some more

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The final report from the garage!!!

Can't believe it!! There is always a bad, very bad and awfully bad news whenever I take my car to the garage. Here is the outcome for my BMW not starting but turning over:

1) The diagnostic test did show no power coming from the heating plugs relay. Relay replaced.

2) Mechanic also tested if power was coming from / to the 4 heating plugs. GUESS WHAT....all 4 were knackered. Apparently, they should be changed every 60,000 and 100,000 miles. IT GETS WORSE... 3 of the plugs would come out but one would not budge!! I was then told that they could change the 3 but if they tried to force out the 4th plug and it threaded, it might lead to a re-bore. (£0000) Now it will be starting on three heating plugs only!!:frown

CONCLUSION:

If I had spare money, I would part ex my car ASAP and get a newer motor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
what a bummer, had a feeling it may be the plugs change the 3 for now it will make a big difference, then i would try getting the engine very hot and soaking the other plug in penetrating fluid then half hour later try removing it, you may find that the heat and the fluid together may release it .

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
They do make a tool for removing snapped glow plugs as it's becoming more common, the tool ain't cheap though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts