BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

I posted in the tyre section of this forum about my new m3 alloys. Im posting here now as i realise this is no longer a tyre questions

Im having a problem of them rubbing at the back of my car whenever I go over a pot hole etc. here

My mechanic said I should put gas shock absorbers which will raise the car, I was reading else where about using higher springs or stiffer springs

What do you guys suggest, I just want to raise the car about 3 or 4 inches enough to give me clearance when I have a full car

cheers

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh i read about that and was going to get on with it with a pole think I mentioned it in my post on the tyres section, but the problem is they protrude out side of the car by about 1.5cm which would mean even it still wouldnt work

Here is a link to diy

cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd suggest getting wheels in an offset to fit your car..tbh..

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
honestly mate,is having these wheels on worth upsetting the balance of your handling?
by heightening your rear suspension you will change the centre of gravity and roll centre of the rear...these wheels are cheap because they only fit M3's.
one option though...get another set but use the fronts from the 2nd set on the rear ;)
this will leave you with 4 rear wheels that are useless,but you could make a garden feature out of them ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, yeh i can just imagine 4 rims and some wood making a nice bench :)

Tbh ive changed back the rears to the original 15s but still have the 18s on the front, im gna try and get some 225s instead of the 255 that are on the rears and pray they will fit without any alterations, if not then Ill roll the fenders and hopefully that should do it

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 320d has 225/40/18 all round and no rubbing issues if thats of any help to you.

They came on my car when i bought it and personally id think 17" would be better, ride is quite firm with the 18"s on the country roads.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you have the m3 alloys with those 18s?

Also it seems we both have the exact car, mine being the 136bhp, how many miles have you done? also what advice would you give for this car? Ive had it for a month now not sure how long youve had it but just looking for any personal experience with the car.

thanks very much for

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah they are reps, well pretty sure they are, on the car when i got it.

The car has 139700 odd miles on it but ive only done less than 1000 of those as im am new to this bmw lark myself so cant offer much in the way of advise yet!

I think mine will need new brake pads and discs very shortly as the discs looks very worn. And 4 wheel alignment too as the steering wheel isnt level when im going straight.

Really liking the car though, was a bit put off by the highish miles but it drives like a car with a fraction of the milage. Bit handful in the recent snow, and radio reception/speakers on mine seem a bit rubbish, but i find the car nice and powerful, nothing like some of the guys on here with M3's etc, but compared to my last car its a big jump up and it think its suits my requirements well.

I notice when i turn the engine off the heater makes a funny sound, almost like a gurgling sound! I read that leaving the engine ticking over before and after a trip is good for the turbo, and if i do that the sound doesnt appear, but if your late for work every second counts. Not sure what it is, the garage i bought it from said they put in a new final stage resistor so it shouldnt be that causing the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts