BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All - bit of a strange one this.

As some of you will know (Ronnie etc), I had my turbo changed recently but the car was very slow and had no guts - took it back to the garage who'd done the turbo work and it turned out to be a vacuum leak from a hose which was loose. Now the strange thing is, the car is very fast in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, almost better than before (BTW it's a 150bhp model) but is seriously sluggish in 1st and 2nd. Just doesn't seem to make sense. Could this be the type of turbo they have fitted?

It used to be sluggish in 1st as most 320d's are but very responsive in 2nd onwards on my old turbo - since it's been changed 2nd gear is pretty rubbish too but the thing flies as soon as it's in 3rd or 4th. Anyone got any ideas? Plus the turbo on all gears used to kick in at about 1500 revs and now it's more like 2000.

CL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you know if it's a mechanical or vacuum operated turbo actuator on the E46.

My E90 is mechanical, but a previous pressure-operated turbo of mine was crap in low gears and it was caused by a duff diaphram in the actuator.

Maybe . . . .

Reactions: ChampionLard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea to be honest mate, a question for my garage that one.

Thanks for the tip though...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Ronnie - I'll speak to my guy at the garage tomorrow about it... because it's a brand new turbo wouldn't this have been replaced though?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts