BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
Raised this issue before and never really got to the bottom of it. The rear end of the car can be quite "lurchy". Now its not dramatic but you can definately feel it on twisty roads when it gets bumpy, there's also a bit of tramlining to contend with.

Car's just been through NCT (MOT) and passed comfortably.

Now I have cheapish tyres on the back but they still have some wear to go. Could all this hassle really be down to poor tyres. I want to buy the Vredestein Quatrac 3 as they are a good all weather tyre. However the only bad reviews I read of them was from a guy who had them on a BMW!!!:eek

I never remember it being this bad, even when I got it, so am stumped

thoughts?

Ta

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
a newsflash: its a big heavy, rear wheel drive, family saloon with questionable tyres not a french hot hatch..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a newsflash: its a big heavy, rear wheel drive, family saloon with questionable tyres not a french hot hatch..
appreciated, but it was never this bad before....thats why I'm asking if people really think that the tyres can be such an issue...they certainly weren't when they were new.!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were there any advisories for worn bushes?

I'd say replace the tyres/check alloys aren't buckled and then 4 wheel alignment to make sure every things running straight :thumbsup
4 wheel alignnment was checked about 2 months back and all was ok. No advisories...even asked the guy who did it if he thought there was anything that I should keep an eye on and he said no.!

I might put the front tyres on the back and check...they have more thread and I know they weren't that bad from new...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
swap fronts and rears and do some home diagnosis before splashing out on anything

Reactions: Will3001

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swap fronts and rears and do some home diagnosis before splashing out on anything
Yeah think thats sensible, my only worry is that if it is the tyres and I put these on the front will that go to S***te as a result?

Takes your chances I suppose

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
a few miles will tell you if the problem has moved, if not swap em back

Reactions: Will3001

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You've probably got staggered wheels (wider on back than front) so the backs might foul on the front at full steering lock, and make the steering feel worse/heavy. So worth checking before swapping:thumbsup

The wheels could well be the cause, failing them I'd be looking at the rear trailing arm bushes:thumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts
Could be the cheap Tyres alright. Maybe the side wall on them is less rigid then dearer tyres and the are flexing more when you throw it into corners.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
the most obvious to me is the actual tyre pressures correct?? a few psi out can turn one into a right whale..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've probably got staggered wheels (wider on back than front) so the backs might foul on the front at full steering lock, and make the steering feel worse/heavy. So worth checking before swapping:thumbsup

The wheels could well be the cause, failing them I'd be looking at the rear trailing arm bushes:thumbsup
Nope same size all round and indy who last looked at the car said he thought the RTAB's were ok

·
Registered
155 Posts
My money is on the RTAB's, if they haven't been changed yet they'll almost certainly need doing. Get them changed for poly bushes and forget about them. I'm not sure the tyres are at fault, i'm running Goodyear Ultragrip 7+ winter tyres which have the softest sidewalls and tyre carcass i've ever seen with no handling issues at all. Remember when driving the bushes will have about a ton and a half of car pushing on them, this is almost impossible to replicate in a garage when checking for wear.
Make sure your tyres are at the recommended pressures (29psi front/ 35psi rear), a full Hunter/KDS alignment is essentiall on these cars.

regards,

Shrekster.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The exact pressure should be in the drivers door shut! They are stupidly low pressures, tend to run mine higher!

Def sounds like RTAB - when going round a corner over a man hole cover etc, does it feel like your almost sliding on ice or something?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The exact pressure should be in the drivers door shut! They are stupidly low pressures, tend to run mine higher!

Def sounds like RTAB - when going round a corner over a man hole cover etc, does it feel like your almost sliding on ice or something?
Yeah a little to be fair....I just checked the tyre thread depths too and they are about 3mm each on the rear so all in all it might be time to get rid!

So I dont really want to go with a poly bush for these if I was changing, recommendations please and a place to purchase. Also is this a DIY job, doesn;t really look like it unless youve got a lift and some additional kit?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I dont really want to go with a poly bush for these if I was changing, recommendations please and a place to purchase. Also is this a DIY job, doesn;t really look like it unless youve got a lift and some additional kit?[/QUOTE]

If your thinking they may be too harsh then don't worry they're not, at least i don't think so. Just fit and forget, DIY is fairly easy, it took me about a day taking my time with plenty of coffee breaks.

Shrekster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts