BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope somebody can possibly help me...

Having bought the car on saturday, I parked it on my drive and locked it up via the key. On monday evening, I tried to open it remotely, but the central locking system didn't open.
I tried to open it manually but again, that didn't work either. I got two keys with the car so I tried the second key without success. Have checked the battery and it's reading 12.6V,
so I suspect it's the key battery that's died. Googling around reveals the battery is replaceable but requires access to program it and as I have two dead keys and no manual key
access, I'm locked out :mad

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds more like the car battery has gone flat.
I suspected this and checked the battery which is at 12.6V. The alarm was sounding etc which is making me rule it out as the primary cause.

it seems very odd to me that 2 keys would go flat at the same time ? :confused, i would think perhaps its not a key problem but a car problem,, im confused too
I think the second key was already dead. When I was inspecting the car, there was only one key used which worked fine up until Monday evening.

Why cant you open it manually??

The key should still operate the drivers door lock....
Don't know why it's not working manually, I turn the key 90 degrees clockwise and nothing, no unlock or anything.

Or the fuse has gone should be able to open it manually though?:confused
Would hope it's a fuse, although gaining access at this point is difficult :frown

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I've bitten the bullet and called RAC out to break in. Will arrive at eight O'clock and I really hope he doesn't break the window, but if needs must...

Sigh, the RAC guy failed to get in. He didn't break the window as he suggested that we called them out tomorrow when they have full technical support at their disposal which may or may not give them some guidance on getting in.
Have got a front near side door bent from the air bags now :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Consider this closed. RAC sent another BMW expert who took 5 minutes and was able to get in without smashing any windows. 100% recommend RAC, awesome service.

He also tested my keys and found them to be both dead. Hope to bring them back to life by replacing the battery.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any idea as to HOW the BMW expert managed to get in? I imagine that snippet of info would be very valuable to other members in a similar boat who stumble across this thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it seems very odd to me that 2 keys would go flat at the same time ? :confused, i would think perhaps its not a key problem but a car problem,, im confused too
when i brought my car both key would only open the car, and would not start it, turned out to be both key were faulty....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I imagine it had more to do with repairing the key than breaking in to the car?
Not exactly, in order to fully do that you would require access to the ignition in order to re-program the key to the car. Have sent you a PM on how this was accomplished.

I'm now in the process of swapping out the batteries for both keys, hoping for the best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm locked out of my car! Lost my key, the spare isn't working and the barrel spins when I try the key.

Can anyone help, before I call the rac?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me guess. He manually opened the boot, there is two levers underneath the rear shelf which you pull and they drop down the rear seats and you just crawl in and open from inside.. had to this on my e46 328ci. to koola : it sounds like your lock actuaator is gone thats why your key is not opening it manually.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Let me guess. He manually opened the boot, there is two levers underneath the rear shelf which you pull and they drop down the rear seats and you just crawl in and open from inside.. had to this on my e46 328ci. to koola : it sounds like your lock actuaator is gone thats why your key is not opening it manually.
Most e46s don't have folding rear seats, was an optional extra. So no way in from the boot normally :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best of calling the RAC mate or fitting a new battery in the key yourself :thumbsup
if I chage the battery wont the key need reprogramming?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.