BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Ive seen this item from screwfix and im imagining I would place this on my cars jack pads on the sides and then jack it up from the center with my trolley jack the place two jackstands on either sides?

Is this ok to do? If so It would provide a another really good way to jack up the whole car

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are forgetting one thing emphasis. How do you plan to get your trolly jack under your car in the first place? :hihi

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ride up onto some wood :)

Ive just seen this thread and really like the idea however am unsure whether I rest the beam on the jackpads on the sills.

also could I jack up sidewards, so I place a beam along one edge of the car and another on the other edge and then jack the car up all the way from both sides

This sounds good right :) that way you dont block any part of the underneath of the car

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173930

I was thinking of something like th

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jack pads is the best thing to use mate. Not sure if it is a good idea to jack your car up from one side using the beam. You could flip your car onto it's side if you are not careful :silly

·
Registered
185 Posts
Slightly OT but it is jack related, i had a flat one morning this week and when i went to lift the car my jack started to bend!

Its the proper BMW jack too, most displeasing in the rain and cold. I would have expected more, was thinking of emailing a strongly worded letter to BMW, i know its a 8 year old car, but still, no man should have to jack up his car only to find it wont lift it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
i think this is designed with vans in mind it works on the same principal as the MOT ones that are fitted in the pits and on ramps, i don,t think that when mounted on a trolley jack you would even get it under a car, maybe just 4x4,s and vans good idea though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but if you drive onto some timber as is done by the the guy in link I posted it would work...i think.

but I wont be using that right now. I have a prefacelift e46 so I have that nice jack point under the front where I can get the front up, and im considering just using ramps for the back which ill just reverse on to. I think that this is the easiest way to get all 4 wheels off of the ground

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I wouldn't trust having a jack either side and jacking the car up level, too risky IMO, may be a bit different if you have a really good burly tonnage jack but otherwise sod that :hihi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts