BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can someone enlighten me on the signs of a failing cat on a diesel?
I have a rattle from underneath, sounds like front drivers side.
It also hesitates above 3k, and cuts all power to turbo. Recovers shortly after. Also have a terrible smell of fumes inside car when in traffic. Sound like a cat issue?
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
320d catalytic converter issues, I think!

Oh, and also a increased sorta rush of air noise above say 2500 rpm

·
Registered
153 Posts
im not sure on euro 3 engine but on the euro 4 if theres something wrong with the cat the EML will come on the dashboard has yours come on?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
320d catalytic converter issues, I think!

Nope, nothing, it's a 2001 136bhp version. Had so many problems, was fine for 2 days, now this rattle and lost power again.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sounds like exhaust leaking from the flexy joint. Though that wouldn't case the turbo issues.
Turbo problems could be leaks on the pipes/intercooler and manifold, and probably more Likley the map sensor on the maifold blocked up with crap. This will give duff readings to the ecu which will upset the turbo boost.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone,
Would this cause lack of power over say 3k or approaching it, lack of back pressure or anything?
Smoke is clearly visible if bonnet up and revved, but can't even see this fleipipe!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers, it's actually booked into BMW tomorrow, reprogram new Maf, not sure if it needs it or not but will also run a diagnostics in it etc, so hopefully will finally give me some closure to 3 months of nothing but bonnet up issues

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mine never came up with a fault code for the map, had one for the maf but I think that was because id unpluged it rather than it be a real fault.

If/when you do take the maf out and clean it and it works as it should, you should then think about taking the maifold off a giving it a good clean as it only a matter of time till it will block again.
Also deflap it if you've not already:thumbsup

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, update, BMW has car, diagnosed the flexipipe broken, they don't believe the cat needs doing aswell, just the pipe itself.
Waiting on quote for work. They said this could cause lack of power, but needs doing anyway as fumes in car so bad now.
They also say this could cause lack of power at high end, as no fault codes preset.
Hate using BMW rather than indies but at the end of tether now and seemed easiest option, and just want it sorted now hehe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mate, I'm not sure it will. They just called, and explained it's £119 all in, supplied, fitted and vat, so pretty resemble.
They did however warn me, that one bolt, that connects this pipe (or cat) to turbo, can seize, and break. They are treating with penetrating oil, overnight to stop this happening but have told me this can happen, and would write off turbo as bolt would be stuck in turbo. He did stress this is unlikely but had to warn me.
Surely, this is so unlikely? People fit decats in there drive ways!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's good they warned you and have applied penetration oil before hand, looks like they know what there doing. :thumbsup all exhaust bolts can be pains in the ass:frown.
Hope it's fine, seams a good price and theres always ways round sheared off bolts if the worse happens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts