BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for new thread, but have searched around and couldn't find this specific issue - sorry if it's been covered before.

Basically I'm looking for some advice on this issue. From cold my car, a 2001 E46 320Ci, has no problems. It starts and runs fine.

However, after it's warmed, sometimes it starts fine, but much of the time it will either;
- Have low torque, and be reluctant to pull from low revs
- From idle, when I go to depress the throttle the first bit of movement causes the revs to dip and the car to try and stall. If I come off the throttle it sometimes chokes a bit and recovers. If I press the throttle quickly past the first cm or two of movement the car will pick up revs, I can release the clutch and pull away okay.
- When pulling up to a halt sometimes the engine will simply die when the clutch is taken out. I then need to restart, with associated restarting problems.

Any ideas of what would be the problem? The car had an oil service recently and the mechanic said there was a camshaft sensor showing up, but he reset the EMU and drove for a while, and the error never recurred.

Would appreciate any advice on what the problem is or how to narrow it down.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sorry for new thread, but have searched around and couldn't find this specific issue - sorry if it's been covered before.

Basically I'm looking for some advice on this issue. From cold my car, a 2001 E46 320Ci, has no problems. It starts and runs fine.

However, after it's warmed, sometimes it starts fine, but much of the time it will either;
- Have low torque, and be reluctant to pull from low revs
- From idle, when I go to depress the throttle the first bit of movement causes the revs to dip and the car to try and stall. If I come off the throttle it sometimes chokes a bit and recovers. If I press the throttle quickly past the first cm or two of movement the car will pick up revs, I can release the clutch and pull away okay.
- When pulling up to a halt sometimes the engine will simply die when the clutch is taken out. I then need to restart, with associated restarting problems.

Any ideas of what would be the problem? The car had an oil service recently and the mechanic said there was a camshaft sensor showing up, but he reset the EMU and drove for a while, and the error never recurred.

Would appreciate any advice on what the problem is or how to narrow it down.

Many thanks

Cam sensor failure is common in beemers.

May also be an O2 sensor problem or temp sensor but you really need to get the codes read again to make certain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

The car also seems to go through more oil than I would expect. Could that be caused by one of the breather pipes, or some other explanation.

Your input is much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the correct oil. I'm not sure the amount, it's not something I've kept track of. The car's done nearly 70k miles, and until last year I never needed to top up. Now I do need to add oil, and maybe just my overactive imagination, but the exhaust seems to give more vapour when driving, even when warmed up.

I'd like to get an expert to take a look at the car, but was hoping there was an explanation that could tie these things together and narrow it down prior to that.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
keep a log of the amount you need to top up and over how many miles you do between them, the e46 m54 engine is known to use some oil but it is strange that you say it never used to use any and as it has recently been serviced any leaks should have been picked up.

I presume you have checked yourself for any leaks under the car? any smoking when first started or puffs when changing gear or under hard acceleration?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.