BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an E46 320CI which has 18 " AC Schnitzer Type 3 alloys.

The 4 tyres that are fitted are all 225/40/18 which will require to be changed soon.

Can anyone advise if these are the correct tyres, I know a lot of Beemers have a different size on the back.
The car also has Schnitzer suspension which is as solid as a rock, any different size of tyres to cushion the bumps ?

The car also tramlines quite a bit which I know in some respects is down to the worn tyres, however it still did it when the tyres were in good nik.
Suspension and tracking checked and all in order.

Any suggestions to the cause and which tyres are best to cure tramlining ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The only way to soften the ride is to raise and put in softer springs, this defeats the purpose of a schnitzer set up though!

Low profiles tend to tramline anyway - putting higher profile tyres on will look naff and probably rub arches etc.

On thing to check is that the stock E46 camber / toe settings are probably not the best for your car as it is not "stock" you need to understand the changes that were made to your car and "engineer" new values to give you the kind of set up and drive you want.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm runing the same size tyres (all four) on sport suspension don't really suffer any tramlining, only on very poor streches of road.
I should think there's something on your suspension that's not quite tight enough.

·
BFuk Moderator
2,680 Posts
Tyres do make a bit of difference with tramlining but 90% of it is down to mis-alignment, people like kwik fit etc claim to do wheel aligning but it has to be done on a Hunter or similar machine which involves aligning and full geometry check and adjustment, not just a simple alignment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just beat me to it Martyn - I was just about to suggest going to a non-'Kwik fit' tyre place - IE a garage or indie tyre fitter with a good rep, to laser align all 4 wheels.

It's some real trick kit.

Alot of the boys who run big powerful FWD set-ups have to get their front wheels aligned several times per year in some cases.

Just because the front axle isn't driven, doesn't mean it can't go out of adjustment.

I suppose the best place to look would be to join a FWD forum with guys who tune their motors, and ask where they get their wheels aligned local to you.

The reason why I'm so against going to somewhere cheap, is because we all have big, powerful cars, so why spend the money on the car itself, and not care for it...? The laser alignment kit is bloody accurate, so it makes sense getting it done right, and not some monkeys with spanners ;)

Also, make your front tyres last a bit longer too!

·
Registered
954 Posts
A good alignment check by a "Reputable" garage who is interested in your problem is definetley good advice:thumbsup.

But there are so many factors involved in "Why is my car tramlining", What is tramlining!!?!! Is it that your car is skittish (all the time, under power, whilst braking, on cambers, whilst driving over white lines, etc. etc.) OR is your car set-up on the zero side of the alignment tolerances so that it does not know what to do!? Extreme (or a bit extra) camber and toe-in can transform a naughty car, but will have a negative affect on tyre wear.

Hard compound (or old degraded) tyres, cheap under-developed tyres, wrong tyre pressures (remember you have to find your own "sweet" tyre pressures as your car is modified therefore manufacturers recomended is null and void).

Yep its a minefield, good luck:thumbsup.

Dunk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts