BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is a 2001 model e46 318i.

when i bought the car only one key remote was working.

the spare key remote was not working.

i cut the key fob and looked at the rechargeable 3v battery- on testing it,it read only 2.75volts.

Also the little switch on the electronic chip that is actuated by the middle lock button had come off and i reassembled it into place.It is now clicking when you press the middle lock button on th remote as it should.

Does it mean i need to replace the battery or do i need to drive the car with this key so that it recharges the battery to full voltage of3v,or should i try to reprogramme it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would have thought that your first port of call would be to make sure it's fully charged before attempting to re programme.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the spare key is now fully functional!

i did not change the battery in the fob as i thought that at 2.75v ,it would allow for reprogramming and could be charged up by taking it for a long drive after the procedure.

This is how i did it and it works for the diamond shaped keyfob remote.

Get into the car and close all doors but do not lock them,

Put the working key in the ignition. Turn to position 2 for like 1 second then back and remove the key.

Press and hold the "unlock" button then press the "lock" button 3 times, you should hear all the locks cycle through.

Now take the non working key and press and hold the "unlock" button then press the "lock" button 3 times.

Then turn the ignition on and off again to end the programming and you should have working key remotes and have saved a packet by doing this diy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts