BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

have issues with my bmw and really hoping anyone can help me - to start of with car is bmw e46 318i 2001 -- problem is that car starts ok when cold but when heats up asc light also abs and handbrake warning light comes on --- shortly after this engine will cut out -- if I leave it for 10 minutes it will start again but it will just keep doing the same thing over and over again --- I got the car plugged into diagnostic machine ( snap on ) which come up which 3 error codes 1 - 5df4 ( system voltage 9 volts ) 2 - 5e1a can - ( data error from dme / dde 3 - 5df5 ecu internal error. I really hope you can help with this. thank you

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I don't have those codes :frown

you have the 1.8 16 valve N42 engine don't you, how has the car been performing? any misfires?

It sounds like a charging problem, the DME controls the charging through the alternator IIRC, as the ABS light e.t.c come on it will be because the DME shuts off other ECU's through the Can Bus system to help keep the engine going(DME powered up)

Wish I'd done more car electrics at college now :rofl

Try checking the charge rate with a multimeter on the battery :thumbsup

Lets hope it's not the DME(ECU) damaged :frown

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
made a few phone calls today seems possible isssue with ecu -- phoned company call bbe ( blacbox) which repairs ecu's just wondering if anyone has ever used them also can anyone advise me were to find the ecu on my bmw as I could only find one which in in engine bay on passenger side just behind suspension mount but was told by bbe this is not main one --- can anyone adv were to find main ecu

cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought there was only one mate i think they,re havin ya on!!!
Try realOEM.com to find the part there,s usually a picture displaying where the part is on the car. sorry i cant help anymore,i,m new to this craic:)
i,m sure one of the more experienced chaps will be along to help ya out jst be patient;)
best of luck mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lights coming on

Hi, I would check the voltage drop between the negitive terminal and the engine. Any more than 0.5v and you got a problem with your earth strap.
Could be earth pick up points for equipment. I had similiar promblem on ex company car with lights coming up, abs, charging light, airbag, etc. Turned out to be short to the chassis from charging circuit. This was not a bmw though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bmw keeps cutting out

hi there just to confirm prev issue with bmw keep cutting out --- issue was crankshaft sensor & throttle valve wiring loom --- pricey repair from bmw douglas park 725.00

thanks to all which replyed

orignal post

hi there

have issues with my bmw and really hoping anyone can help me - to start of with car is bmw e46 318i 2001 -- problem is that car starts ok when cold but when heats up asc light also abs and handbrake warning light comes on --- shortly after this engine will cut out -- if I leave it for 10 minutes it will start again but it will just keep doing the same thing over and over again --- I got the car plugged into diagnostic machine ( snap on ) which come up which 3 error codes 1 - 5df4 ( system voltage 9 volts ) 2 - 5e1a can - ( data error from dme / dde 3 - 5df5 ecu internal error. I really hope you can help with this. thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts