BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for a friend, he has been having this problem for a while. When the problem occurs the engine just cuts out, Has taken to BMW and indie but as no faults showing on car have been told nothing wrong. Can anybody help him out. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this particular forum and am wondering if anyone can assist with this new problem I'm experiencing. I have an Alpina D10 biturbo (diesel) and have owned it since 2007, it's a fantastic and rare car. This afternoon whilst starting to accelerate quite hard up an incline (but foot 'not' to the floor) the engine just cut out - never happened before. I coasted to a halt, turned the key and it fired up, thereafter, it cut out a couple more times further down the road (I stopped and it re-fired). Every time it was the same scenario, i.e starting to accelerate hard. In fact it seemed that just before it got to the cutting out point the engine started to feel as if it was 'just' starting to misfire, like it felt a bit wooley. I'm suspecting (rightly or wrongly) that it could be something to do with the turbochargers - like an overboost protection, as it seems to cut dead just when the torque starts to kick in and the turbo's are really starting to spool up. Could it be this, does it have some overboost protection device? or could it be something else and a lot simpler, does anybody have some experience with this sort of fault and can they advise me. Thanks a lot. Dale :thumbsup

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this particular forum and am wondering if anyone can assist with this new problem I'm experiencing. I have an Alpina D10 biturbo (diesel) and have owned it since 2007, it's a fantastic and rare car. This afternoon whilst starting to accelerate quite hard up an incline (but foot 'not' to the floor) the engine just cut out - never happened before. I coasted to a halt, turned the key and it fired up, thereafter it cut out a couple more times further down the road (stopped and it re-fired). Every time it was the same scenario, i.e starting to accelerate hard. In fact it seemed that just before it got to the cutting out point the engine started to feel as if it was 'just' starting misfire, like it felt a bit wooley. I'm suspecting (rightly or wrongly) that it could be something to do with the turbochargers - like an overboost protection, as it seems to cut dead just when the torque starts to kick in and the turbo's are really starting to spool up. Could it be this, does it have some overboost protection device? or could it be something else and a lot simpler, does anybody have some experience with this sort of fault and can they advise me. Thanks a lot. Dale :thumbsup
check all breather and inlet pipes for cracks, or loose fittings after the AFM

·
Registered
10 Posts
......... if this were the same thing + it's not shown as a fault code - any ideas ??
It may help, but as you may well know, this engine is Alpina's development of the 330D lump - 245bhp 370ft Ibs.

Regards
Dale.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
......... if this were the same thing + it's not shown as a fault code - any ideas ??
It may help, but as you may well know, this engine is Alpina's development of the 330D lump - 245bhp 370ft Ibs.

Regards
Dale.
The sensors will be the same, only the internals generally that will be different :thumbsup

A auto electrician with one of those boxes or diagnostic equipment that logs the engine data whilst driving would pick the problem up :thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.