BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about my central locking problems before with the both of the keys not opening the doors....

I can open only the driver door manually with the keys. How do i get the car to manually open all the doors??

i got a bmw 318 saloon 2001

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi pal I would check all fuses first and does your central locking button next to the hazard switch work if not i would put it to the central locking module.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Moderator: sorry about the title !

the button near the gear stick doesnt work so as you said it could be the module. To fix that i bet it will be costly and my money isnt that good at the moment..

is there a way to just allow the doors to open manually when unlocking with the key??

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Doors lock every time with remote or CL button by gearstick but do not open with remote or button? sounds like the relays in the GM5 have failed or are failing.

The following worked on my 2003 E46 saloon:

Unlock car using remote & remove fuse No.60 located in glovebox.

The central locking now will NOT work.

All doors will unlock and lock manually.

The fuel "flap" unfortunately remains unlocked!

The boot will still remotely open.

I had by relays replaced and all has been well since June 2009 :thumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The doors lock fine with the central locking and the CL button by the gear stick...its the unlocking that takes the piss lol

Oh dear, no fuel flap is an issue !! is there a way around it ?

How much did it cost you to fix the relays?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The doors lock fine with the central locking and the CL button by the gear stick...its the unlocking that takes the piss lol
Sounds like it, had the missus entering car a la Dukes of Hazard stylee and she ain't no Daisy Duke :frown

Oh dear, no fuel flap is an issue !! is there a way around it ?
I'm not aware of one, if you're concerned about fuel theft get a locking fuel cap as a stop gap?

How much did it cost you to fix the relays?
Give Colin a bell or drop him a PM http://www.bmwgm5.co.uk/ or http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=25400 he'll sort you out :thumbsup

Photo of my old relays just in case you fancy a DIY fix?
-

-
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahahaha oh my god i could stop laughing at the Duke of Hazard comment hahahahahaha you ahve made my day buddy !!!

i am dont mind the fuel theft lol kinda reminds me of my 1st car, ahhh the punto good old days lol i just ment when it comes to putting fuel into the car! As in i can still get it to open to pour the fuel in right ?

Thats fantastic thank you very much! i am going to contact him and arrange it to be fixed! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the flap is unlocked so you can fuel up and no problem mate :thumbsup
:D:D:D:D

Thank you very much for the info, i will tackle the fuse tomorrow after uni !!

i hope your misses doesnt see that Daisy part :hihi

Hope you have a nice night and thanks again !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ slowTech: I tried it today removing fuse number 60...when i did that, the central locking only locked the driver door and the other 3 doors remained opened :mad:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
@ slowTech: I tried it today removing fuse number 60...when i did that, the central locking only locked the driver door and the other 3 doors remained opened :mad:
Sorry missed this post moey, I can only advise on my own experience and removing fuse 60 rendered the C/L inoperable!

Suggest you open car via C/L then remove fuse 60 and then don't use C/L , just key in door lock, until the relays have been replaced :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, have had this problem intermitantly for a while, seems to unlock eventually on the button next to hazzard after i've been driving for a while, always locks, sometimes doesn't unlock, where are these relays located, and is there a different one for locking as a pose to unlocking? is diy fix tricky as after reading this i hope to try it soon?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hi all, have had this problem intermitantly for a while, seems to unlock eventually on the button next to hazzard after i've been driving for a while, always locks, sometimes doesn't unlock, where are these relays located, and is there a different one for locking as a pose to unlocking? is diy fix tricky as after reading this i hope to try it soon?
Browsing through http://www.bmwgm5.co.uk/ & http://www.bmwgm5.com/ should answer any questions you may have.

Personally I wasn't suitably experienced or equipped to resolder the tiny relay contacts so I opted for Colins (1st link) repair service,
nearly 2 years on and C/L hasn't missed a beat :thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just recently had the same problem with my 320D 2004. It was driving me nuts

The lights came on in the car but the locks did not open - it locked fine and the boot always opened. If you open it with the key, the button inside doesn't work to open the locks and you can't open the doors manually from the inside.

Its the GM5 Module.

I got mine done by a chap I found online for £70 (or £55 for just the module)

BMW Electronics Repair

His name is Colin and is really helpful.

He did it in the evening as well at his home.

He also fixed my passanger side seat mat which kept making the airbag light come on - but thats another story!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts