BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is this a DIY job? Do I need any special tool to remove it? Finally, is there any instruction to do the job?

(My purpose of removing the alternator is to replace the oil filter housing gasket. Removing the alternator is the first step)

Regards

·
Registered
493 Posts
nope no special tools, its only a few bolts (2 actually holding the alternator if i remember correctly), remember to disconnect your battery first though!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I must remember to disconnect the battery. Is there any precautionary measure to take? How to put the belt back? Is there any pretentioner for the belt?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,193 Posts
Hi all,

Is this a DIY job? Do I need any special tool to remove it? Finally, is there any instruction to do the job?

(My purpose of removing the alternator is to replace the oil filter housing gasket. Removing the alternator is the first step)

Regards
Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the engine here but if it's the N42 you wont have to remove alternator.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I have put all the necessary information. Sorry about the confusion.

According to 'realoem', my engine is the M43.

You Have Selected: 02/2001 E46 318i Saloon M43 Europe Right hand drive N

As always, I have not removed any bmw alternator before and so I still feel uneasy about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mate I have done this job last week. here is the steps that you need to follow.
you have to remove both AC and serpentine belts to do this job. the whole job takes about couple of hours.
1) First remove the air filter and its housing, MAF sensor. Removing these gives you better access. You dont have to remove if you can with them in place.
2) To remove alternator first disconnect the battery (obviously), then undo the cable that is connect to the back of the alternator with a 13in bolt. Alternator is held in place by two bolts to the alternator mounting device. one on top and the other on bottom. see the link below for the position of two bolts.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=12_0607&hg=12&fg=22
you should also remove the power steering fluid tank because it comes in the way of the bottom bolt. Spray WD40 at the edges where alternator is attached to its mounting device. spray on top and bottom as well. Make sure you dont spray on to the inside of alternator. wait for 5min.
Slide a strong screw driver/crow bar between the gap of alternator and its mounting device from the top and gently push out wards towards clock wise direction. Dont use brute force. this shouls slide out the alternator.
3) next remove the alternator mounting device which is held in place by 6bolts. see the link below
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=12_0572&hg=12&fg=21
4) then undo the 6 10mm bolts on the oil filter housing device.
5) make sure you also replace the two o rings. Its part 5 in the below link. one ring towards the engine block side and the other towards the oil filter housing. once you replace those two the bush should fit snuggly on both ends.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=11_1568&hg=11&fg=30

follow the reverse to fit back everything. try to sand the edges of alternator bracket and alternator where it attaches to the bracket.

Hope this is helpfull.

Good luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought I have put all the necessary information. Sorry about the confusion.

According to 'realoem', my engine is the M43.

You Have Selected: 02/2001 E46 318i Saloon M43 Europe Right hand drive N

As always, I have not removed any bmw alternator before and so I still feel uneasy about it.
yeah it will be an m43 on a prefacelift 318, i did the job on my last one, be careful with the old bolts holding down the oil filter housing, 3 of the 6 snapped when i was doing it up, ended up replacing all of the bolts m8 or m6 i think they are!
heres a couple pictures i took for the alternator. and theres plug on the back of it ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I accidentally discovered this morning that oil is leaking from the top of oil filter housing area when the engine is cold. It is about one or two spoonful of oil coming out. The leak stops when the engine reaches normal temperature.

Therefore, I have to do this job and replace the gasket and the o ring etc. (Recently, I have just replaced my radiator, the bottle and the elbow at the back of the engine)

Please excuse me for being ignorant here. First of all, where do I start to remove the belt? Of course I can remove the air filter, its housing and the MAF sensor. And how do I put the belt back? Is there any tentioner?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts