BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just after some advice for my 2001 E46 318ci. I *think* my front offside wheel bearing has gone. Trouble is I am not mechanically minded so any advice or suggestions gratefully received :boxedin

It all started last week with a loud grinding noise, like metal on metal, but stopped almost as soon as it started so put it down to something getting in the brakes which then got out. Later that day had some vibration when going 60mph, but after arriving at my destination it stopped.

Yesterday only did a 4 mile trip and the offside front wheel was smelling like burning and the alloy was very hot too. Also the car slowed down quickly by itself without applying the break at traffic lights and didn't roll on a slight slope where it would have previously :confused

I've booked it in to my local garage (not dealer) for Monday, if it is the wheel bearing is it safe to drive short distances (2 miles a time) for my work commute!?

Also if it is the wheel bearing anyone got a ballpark figure of what cost to expect?

Typically this happens after Christmas and the month when road tax is due for renewal :timebomb

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sounds like the brake caliper has seized on (so the brake will be on slightly hence noise heat and stopping) the pads might also be worn out. Most likely you'll need new/recon calipers (£90 ish recon) and new disks as it may have warped with the heat.
You should always replace these part in pairs to keep brake power equall on both sides of the car.
If you can avoid driving it the discs might not need to be replaced but will need checking.

HTH

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
If you heard a metallic grating noise then I would expect the discs to be damaged, the calipers may be able to be freed up and cleaned. At best new pair of discs and pads, at worst above plus calipers. I would have the bearing checked also as the excessive heat could have damaged the bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts