BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ive just changed the engine in my 318ci and it ran ok, that was until tonight when i started it and it cut out like it had ran out of fuel, so i got some fuel for it and it still wouldnt start. I have tried towing it off and it still wont start, there is a spark and there it fuel getting to the injector rail.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure because i used a spark plug of the old engine is there a fuse or something for the injectors

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Not sure because i used a spark plug of the old engine is there a fuse or something for the injectors
No, hence why you now need to check the fuel is getting injected into the engine, easiest way is to check the plugs for fuel......:thumbsup

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the immobilier, i was messing around with the wires in the ecu box and the ones behind the glove box because i have been having problems with the wipers, what is it that controls the injectors cheers

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
No, because it wouldn't crank over.

Camshaft sensor controls the injectors, if that fails then the crank sensor takes over.

But you still need to check for fuel at the plugs first. :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Camshaft sensor wouldn't. A crank sensor would. Problem is you wouldn't have spark if it was the crank sensor. :hihi

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think it has anything to do with the box behind the glovebox where all the main wires go the control box, do you think i should get my codes read, another thing i pull all the wires out of my ecu but didnt disconnect the battery

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You really are getting ahead of yourself. Seriously, I've been working in a garage as a mechanic for 16 years and the amount of times I see people run around like a headless chicken when they should check the basics..........

Fuel at the plugs?

Spark at the plugs?

It really is that simple if you know what you are doing.

A code read won't tell you if the fuel pressure is non existent or low, nor will it tell you if you have spark at the plugs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know but it would tell me if there was a sensor gone, its just its never that simple it has to be an electrical problem if there is a spark and theres fuel getting to the rail, and for it to just stop working like it did there must be something seriously wrong

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I'm in agreeance with Ronnie here, I think your getting ahead of yourself here - Unlike Ronnie, i'm no mechanic, but I know you do need to start with the basics !

What you just said was:
"it has to be an electrical problem if there is a spark and theres fuel getting to the rail"

But you never answered Ronnies question - Is fuel getting to the rail, and is there spark ?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
You have fuel.... You have spark.... You have air.... The engine must start !

Are all the plugs dripping wet with petrol ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
havent checked yet will do it in the morning, it just seemed like it had ran out of fuel and wouldnt start again

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ive had another look and i dont think the injectors are firing fuel as i took the rail off and there not working fuel is getting to the rail though because i took an injector off and the fuel came out, so does anyone know what controls the injectors cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts