BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyy everyone, this is my first post and gutted for me it's not goona be a good one, so be gentle

got my 318ci last friday and i'll be as detailed as i can about this problem

bascily i turned the traction control off and drove it for about a mile, pulled over turned it back on again, once i done this i noticed the steering became stupidly heavy (asif there was no power steering) and after a few seconds that battery light came on and would remain on, after driving the car for a few minutes the car started to overheat so i turned the engine off and let it cool down, i have no idea what the problem is, i've done a quick serch but this is pretty urgent

if anyone can tell me the problem and how much it'll cost to get fixed i'd appriciate it! might it just need a new battery? and forgive me for this but is the power steering electric on these?

but yeah any help asap would be much appricated

thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You've lost your drive belt, and this powers your altenator (battery light), water pump (overheating) and power steering.

Most likely this belt,
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL32&mospid=47610&btnr=11_2073&hg=11&fg=18

known as a 6PK - 1733, IE 6 ribs, 1733mm long.

You can get those belts anywhere, it's a standard type, just try to get 1733mm
CHECK FIRST!

Use your own chassis number as there were 2 engine types available, the above is for the M43, that was replaced with the N42 engine (the valvetronic one), and used this belt

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BV72&mospid=47611&btnr=11_3182&hg=11&fg=18

6PK- 1637mm

Belt fitting isn't hard, but you might need to check that all the pulleys are there, and nothing has a lose bearing and wobbles, throwing the belt off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your quick response man!

is this a common issue? and how does this usaly happen?

and whats the belt called and (i know it's hard to say) but how much are they roughly

i have a 51 plate 2.0 318 if thats any help

thanks again!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Poly belt, ribbed belt, drive belt, and often even called the fan belt.
They are all the same thing, the 6K or 6PK just describes the ribs on the inside, and it's a very common design used on most cars, and then the number give the length.

That means you could get a belt from some other car in Halfords etc if they don't have yours listed, as long as you track down the correct size.

The same belt I believe your car uses was also used on loads-

6PK 1637
AUDI
BMW
FORD
MITSUBISHI
RENAULT
TATA
VOLKSWAGEN
VOLVO

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for all your help and advice, maybe i'm just abit paranoid but is there anything else likly that could happen?

and is this just one of those things that happen? or have i bought a shitter?

regards

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
one of those things its the thing that always gets ignored by the average owner till it snaps or throws itself off ..

end of the day its a consumable sacrificial part on the engine and its meant to be renewed..

they are getting towards end of life at around 65-75k usually..i changed mine at 60k cos it was cracking badly but still servicable at the time..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah right okay

just had a mechanic out and the idle wheel has seized

any idea where a good online place is too get one at a good price? rather then from a dealer

he said half of the problem was most likly it's been sitting around for ages ( on thh forcourt) but i guess it's hard to say

thanks for you help so far guys!

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just wanna say thanks for all your help people, the problem is now resolved, thanks again for all your advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
well come on fill us in its good to know for the other members???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well come on fill us in its good to know for the other members???
sorry man just saw your post!

yeah it was a pulley which threw the belt of, replaced the belt the and now both the pulleys

and everythings fine, no need for a new battery etc!

once again thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts