BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
my steering just recently has started to become pretty heavy my tyres are at the normal 35psi that i always put in so its not that ive noticed that my power steering fluid is a little low as far as i know its never been changed would it be advisable to change it or just top it up ?? ive owned my car just over 4 years now
any links or know how would be appreciated
thanks in advance
nick

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no leaks...... ive read that if its a browny colour to change it but if its clear in colour then its ok...... ill check it at the weekend

·
Registered
691 Posts
Theres a couple of guides on how to do it on t'internet, but one involves opening up the system and pumping it all out....the other involves a lot of PAS fluid and is a lot less hassle.
Sealed for life my arse....This is the colour of mine before i changed it...

Get yourself a syringe with a bit of tube on the end. Or a baster.
Suck out all the fluid in the reservoir and replace with new stuff. Start the engine and turn the steering from left to right 5 times.
Repeat until the old oil looks like the stuff youre putting in. Job done.
Like i said, you'll need a bit more oil but its less aggro than replacing copper washers...:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good man Egon, using the syringe method :thumbsup. I wouldn't want to use the pump out method for fear of introducing air in the system. No where to bleed either.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Bleeding is simple, just turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a couple of times and it all comes out through the reservoir. I've changed fluid a few times on my BMs and although it's looked nicer when changed it never made any real diference to the steering. Only time I had a problem with lack of assistance it was a seal gone inside the rack and I fitted a recon rack.

·
Registered
691 Posts
yeah, i've heard that theyre pretty self bleeding, but i wouldnt want to find an airbubble half way round a corner! Mine went really stiff for a few turns after i changed the rack and had to fill from scratch. took a couple of days till it felt happy again. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your running 35 up front! Im on 32 due to the stretched tyres... should be 28 should it not?
any thing lower than 35 in my fronts ben and i would need arms like popeye to turn the wheel mate 28 and my tyres would be flat

cheers for the replies tho guys :thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
320 Posts
Theres a couple of guides on how to do it on t'internet, but one involves opening up the system and pumping it all out....the other involves a lot of PAS fluid and is a lot less hassle.
Sealed for life my arse....This is the colour of mine before i changed it...

Get yourself a syringe with a bit of tube on the end. Or a baster.
Suck out all the fluid in the reservoir and replace with new stuff. Start the engine and turn the steering from left to right 5 times.
Repeat until the old oil looks like the stuff youre putting in. Job done.
Like i said, you'll need a bit more oil but its less aggro than replacing copper washers...:D
What mileage or date is specified by BMW on the service schedule? Just out of interest...

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
any thing lower than 35 in my fronts ben and i would need arms like popeye to turn the wheel mate 28 and my tyres would be flat

cheers for the replies tho guys :thumbsup:thumbsup
:rofl:rofl Yeah mine is rather heavy must say.. I got the old winters on just now theyre at 28.. might pump them up a bit what you reckon? Ill go 35's on the Lms maybe aslong as i dont get uneven tyre wear that is?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my tyre wear is equally spot on all round with 35psi in all four tyres

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My tyre pressures (according to the sticker/manual) are 36psi front, and a mahoosive 42 in the rears!

Back on track, heavy power steering can be a sign of a failing pump, or a sticky valve in the rack. You may get lucky with just a fluid change though. My local BP sells the correct Dextron 3 fluid for about £10 - maybe yours does too. Changing the fluid is easy enough, maybe an hours work if you really take your time. A rack change is no more than 2 hours, and the pump can be done in about an hour too (from underneath is easiest). There are lots of different pumps, so if you do conclude that yours is knackered, make sure you source the appropriate replacement.

HTH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts