BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I've been experiencing coolant problems for a few months now but haven't been able to ID a leak until now. There has started to be some leakage on a pipe connection. The pipe in question is situated between the expansion tank and radiator and runs vertically. The photos below should show the location of the pipe. Does anyone know what the pipe is called or have any information that could help me in fixing the problem? For some reason I am unable to find it on the obvious coolant diagrams!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers:)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if i didnt know any better it looks like your rad is goosed not expensive tho you can buy one for 70 odd quid delivered..

moderate DIY...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me.

So in your opinion it is going to be a complete new radiator and not just a new pipe or O ring?

Are there any other indicators I can look for to confirm it is the radiator?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
what you are pointing to to me is part pf the plastic sides of the rad assembly which is kind of crimped to the actual alloy matrix part..

rather difficult to id from your picc tho but it looks like this

you sure its not your top hose connection leaking down..? but it looks like the plastic parts has cracked or fractured to me although ive never seen one do that it hasnt froze at some point has it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again,

Great pic, you are absolutelty spot on:thumbsup. On looking at the pic the seapage that is visible is on the first ledge down from the opening on the black plastic pipe. I take it this does mean a new radiator is required then?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just got a price from Quarry Motors on here for a new radiator + header tank. Radiator 60 squid. Better than the dealership kindly offering me one for a fee of £205 :jaw-dropping - that will be right:hihi

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if your sure its not actually dribbling from the connection down then ide say its cracked and needs a new rad..

if you DIY i have done a rad change DIY in the how to section its for an M54 engine but the proccess will be pretty similar...

like i said it ain't that expensive and its moderate DIY if ya handy wiv the spanners..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts