BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,

Just took othe Mrs' car for a spin and noticed that I was getting knocking noises when on full lock..left and right lock..........the knock seems to be comming from the pass side wheel.

The knocking is not present while normal driving....just on lock and especially when reversing.

Also noticed that........if you put the car on full lock and then drive a full circle......the steering locks up and you need to force it off lock.

The car has had new wishbones and bushes both sides............obviously will be looking into this properly 2moro but has anyone had any similar issues...................I've heard the rack on these is prone to failing in this way?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The locking on full lock sounds like a tracking issue, does it do it both ways?

As for the knocking that would be the food blender engine in the front struggling to move the car :D

But really :D who fitted the arms and bushes?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you check the tracking after? :shifty:

be honest Raymondo :hihi

WTF!!!!

what do u take me for???.........cowboy????

err...........no i didn't dude.........:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

haven't had time to be honest mate......gonna get it done on saturday. but gonna also change the track rod ends aswell.

but would the tracking cause the wheel to lock up at full lock after spin??.............what about that knocking??

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It would indeed cause it to lock on full, had it myself.

As for knocking noise, I've had that and it was a ball joint loose in the hub :eek

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would indeed cause it to lock on full, had it myself.

As for knocking noise, I've had that and it was a ball joint loose in the hub :eek

Ball joint??.............dont know??......that thing was rock solid Ronnie........but gonna double check everything again in the morning to be sure...........may be a dodgy new joint:frown

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW Slack, what make are the arms you fitted?
Febi..................................But before the arms were changed..........I noticed that after the car had been standing for a while, I would initially get a knock from the pass side front wheel..........as if something was jammed and then free'd all of a sudden.

After the arms were changed.......all was sweet..............no issues but last night I took the wifes noddy car out and that's when I noticed it..............but this time the knock is constant when on full lock, left or right.

and when you drive-off on full lock, whether left or right, and then stop, the steering wheel feels as though its locked-up some how and you have to nudge it back over........as if you are freeing it from something and then its fine???

Obviously it was late last night this occured and coudn't look deeper into it.................I have spoken to a friend of mine from an alignmnet centre who'll have a look this afternoon.

as soon as its up it may become obvious whats wrong................but I've never had this ever crop up on a car before, just wondering if anyone had similar probs:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out the inner tie rod assembly as well mate. The ball joint there will produce a knocking sound if there is play there.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out the inner tie rod assembly as well mate. The ball joint there will produce a knocking sound if there is play there.

That's what I was thinking aswell mate..............I have heard that these are prone to knocking and failing...........u think I would get away with new steering arms or just better to reaplace the rack??

would that cause the locking up aswell mate??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only time the rack would need replacing is if your Mrs has done a bit of 'drifting' :hihi.
Seriously, the rack may be ok, but best to check the rod joints under the gators first.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only time the rack would need replacing is if your Mrs has done a bit of 'drifting' :hihi.
Seriously, the rack may be ok, but best to check the rod joints under the gators first.
Driffting???................may well have done mate but it certainly would not have been intentional:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi

I agree, gonna check it out before I rip it to bits, thanks mate:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got round to checking it out...........

Racks screwed............no fun fixing your own car man, you don't get paid for it:biglaugh

Got a great price from ECP though, 110 + Vat and then 20 each for the tie rods:thumbsup

...............where's my white gloves?..................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a great price from ECP though, 110 + Vat and then 20 each for the tie rods:thumbsup
:confused...surely you are not planning to use the old outers because that price just sounds like inner's only. Or is it extreme discount for you :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:confused...surely you are not planning to use the old outers because that price just sounds like inner's only. Or is it extreme discount for you :D

I know...........coudn't believe it.........I got ECP's to check it twice as GSF quoted me something like 300+ for a complete rack.

Spoke to my main man at ECP- confirmed the price......said they will do a Q-drive rack minus tie-rods for 110 or 117 and then the Remi rack for 160 minus the tie rods:confused

but I didn't complain mate............got the new rack sitting in the workshop.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I was reffering to the tie rod...£20 each inners only or complete?

:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi........my bad.

exact price was around 20 + vat complete mate, both inners and outers but these are Febi not Lemforder :thumbsup

still, not bad.

Extreme discount??..............maybe dude:D "desi" hand-shake;).................don't pretend you don't know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts