BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days my 540 touring's air suspension has started playing up.

It has started sinking completely on the left hand side if left for any period of time (1 hour plus) it also will not rise fully on that side on start up if at all.

When it doesnt rise at all I get self level susp inact on the obc.

Now just to confuse matters the right hand side has dropped once aswell.

I'm going to try and get it up on a ramp asap, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Over the past few days my 540 touring's air suspension has started playing up.

It has started sinking completely on the left hand side if left for any period of time (1 hour plus) it also will not rise fully on that side on start up if at all.

When it doesnt rise at all I get self level susp inact on the obc.

Now just to confuse matters the right hand side has dropped once aswell.

I'm going to try and get it up on a ramp asap, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
sounds like an air bag problem or leak, they are easy enough to see once you have the wheel off,but finding the leak is tricky, it'll be a new part, about 170 from a bmw dealer so should be cheaper else where. can take a bit of time to replace but should be ok to drive for a short distance slowly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the proper name is "bellows", be better if we could get rid, an get complete sports suspension all round I think,lol
I would prefer that I think as a couple of springs would be cheaper than a pair of bags. The hardest part would be eliminating the pump setup without the obc sulking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having driven the car several places today I'm not convinced it's a split bag.

1st thing this morning it sat fine with no issues. later on it sagged on and off.

·
Banned
478 Posts
my guess is that it is a intermittant level sensor issue. Id get the sensor checked

Reactions: 540i Mick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had it on a ramp today and there is a definate split in one of the bags and the other doesnt look too clever.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Looks like you've found the cause then mate...

Good luck :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts