BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on any benefits and/or downsides to fitting a cold air intake along with a Superchip on my 2001 540i?

I'm looking at a Racing Dynamics cold air intake: http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2...oduct_Code=142.52.39.105&Category_Code=e39tun

And a Superchip: http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2...oduct_Code=142.52.39.105&Category_Code=e39tun

I've currently carried out no engine mods. I need to use the car every day on both short and long motorway journeys so I need to ensure reliability.

Are there any other options that might be better than a Superchip that anybody knows of? Will the engine be much louder when cruising on the motorway (i'm not worried about local journeys but want quiet cruising when on the motorway). Has anybody had their 540i chipped and what were the results?

Thanks very much all :)

BTW I've recently fitted a pair of Predator Ice v3 bulbs for my angel eyes, my feedback is they look great (they are bright white compared to the 'yellow-glow' of the standard bulbs), although you can't really see them when it's a very sunny day; it needs to be overcast or darker weather to really see them. Also had a Parrot CK3000 Evolution fitted using cable for steering wheel integration - definately a good puchase. If anyone wants any info/feedback on these 2 items just give me a shout and i'll be happy to let you know how i'm getting on with them :)

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Mate,
I'm not a great fan of Superchips and have always avoided them myself. I had my 645 remapped a few weeks back and reckon that's the way to go. I fitted an AFE cold air intake but it's really only for show/sound - if it gives more than 10 bhp I can't tell! The older V8 I believe has more potential (check out Turner Motorsport in the U.S.) but I think you're starting at around 282 bhp so plenty of upside. If you're feeling wealthy, Dinan are the top dog in the U.S. and there's a lot more 540s there of course!

·
Formerly known as Freddybear
495 Posts
hey mate your second link also sends you to the air intake page :thumbsup

Reactions: Dano

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mate,
I'm not a great fan of Superchips and have always avoided them myself. I had my 645 remapped a few weeks back and reckon that's the way to go. I fitted an AFE cold air intake but it's really only for show/sound - if it gives more than 10 bhp I can't tell! The older V8 I believe has more potential (check out Turner Motorsport in the U.S.) but I think you're starting at around 282 bhp so plenty of upside. If you're feeling wealthy, Dinan are the top dog in the U.S. and there's a lot more 540s there of course!
Thanks afcneal for the really interesting info.
I was kinda thinking that I would maybe avoid Superchips, but had never come across anyone who has had one on a BMW so had no real knowledge to base this thught on - my local indy (superb btw) recommended to steer clear...
I totally agree with you about Dinan (http://www.dinancars.com/bmw)!!! Top choice! I was looking at thier 321bhp package which consists of cold air intake, high flow throttle body, high flow air mass meter, high flow intake manifold and remap. I did look at one of their UK authorised providers (http://www.birdsauto.com/) and they were quoting £5,500 for that lot though!! Doh! Well out of my league unfortunately. I'm sure tey'd be able to sort me out with just the cold air intake and remap though, so could be a god option considering the depth of my pockets!
I had also noticed the AFE cold air intake - thanks for the pointer on that.
Can I ask you where you went for your remap? I think my overall plan now will be:
1. Remove and clean the fuel injectors, using new seals when they are re-fitted;
2. Fit cold air intake (thanks again for the post on the AFE system mate);
3. remap.
Out of these three things, I am a bit lost on the remap and where I would go for this - any tips on that at all? I'll check out Turner Motorsport too.
Thanks again afcneal

·
Registered
91 Posts
My friend recently used Evolve in Luton to remap his 540i. The dyno showed 302 bhp but, putting that aside, the throttle response is massively improved and the power more linear.

I also had my E36 M3 Evo remapped by them and it makes more power right across the rev range. Instantly noticeable.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Thanks afcneal for the really interesting info.
I was kinda thinking that I would maybe avoid Superchips, but had never come across anyone who has had one on a BMW so had no real knowledge to base this thught on - my local indy (superb btw) recommended to steer clear...
I totally agree with you about Dinan (http://www.dinancars.com/bmw)!!! Top choice! I was looking at thier 321bhp package which consists of cold air intake, high flow throttle body, high flow air mass meter, high flow intake manifold and remap. I did look at one of their UK authorised providers (http://www.birdsauto.com/) and they were quoting £5,500 for that lot though!! Doh! Well out of my league unfortunately. I'm sure tey'd be able to sort me out with just the cold air intake and remap though, so could be a god option considering the depth of my pockets!
I had also noticed the AFE cold air intake - thanks for the pointer on that.
Can I ask you where you went for your remap? I think my overall plan now will be:
1. Remove and clean the fuel injectors, using new seals when they are re-fitted;
2. Fit cold air intake (thanks again for the post on the AFE system mate);
3. remap.
Out of these three things, I am a bit lost on the remap and where I would go for this - any tips on that at all? I'll check out Turner Motorsport too.
Thanks again afcneal
Check out the site sponsors on here who do remaps and maybe ask each for their views. I had mine done at bwchiptune.co.uk in Hounslow as the guys on here couldn't do a remap on my 6 (the 6s are fussy cars!) and would highly recommend them. Funnily enough they had a 540 in their garage at the time. Jason is the proprietor and he's a top bloke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts