BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
You can measure solenoid valve resistance on the valve itself or via GM connector. The resistance should be 7,5 ohm or higher. A lower value will show as short circuit code and disable servotronic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can measure solenoid valve resistance on the valve itself or via GM connector. The resistance should be 7,5 ohm or higher. A lower value will show as short circuit code and disable servotronic.

if i take out the big plug of the gm module i can check from there the valve? If yes you know which pins i have to check?

·
Registered
10 Posts
so i just check the resistance from black/white black/red it's 4,5 or 4,8 ohm so my servotronic valve is ok. Then what's the problem now?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
No, the resistance should be 7,5 ohm or higher. Aged solenoid valve will give lower resistance and log the fault code.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
If you want to test my hypothesis you can put ~3 ohm resistor in series with solenoid and see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One resistor in series with either one of the cables so the total resistance would be solenoid valve resistance + resistor resistance.
so finally after 23 days arrived the resistances. I just did the trick you told me no more fault code from GM and the steering wheel it's much better now!!! Very good trick my friend!!! You are the best. I just hope that the servotronic now will get better at some point because i am pretty sure was working with really low level of oil and it was black as hell in there. So probably after that much flushing and with clean oil i hope it will start working normaly after some weeks. I will have an eye on that the next months and in the summer i will try to delete the resistance and i will report back if it gets any better. But wow thank so much!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Unfortunately the resistance on solenoid coil will not come back to normal on its own. At least now you know what is the problem and steering will be lighter on slow speeds. Though not as light as it would be with a normally working solenoid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes i guess... Today i just realised that the steering was heavy again and error message again on ista+. So it's not gonna be ok and i have to change it. My car is a 520i facelift 09/1999 do you know the part number so i can order a new one? Also after i resset the fault i had a big trouble in the middle of the autobahn. It broke the water pump and i was in almost full speed. You can imagine what a mess and smokes i had :p I have to change water pump, clutch fan and the blades plus servotronic...

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Like I said on one of my previous post the solenoid for I6 steering racks is not sold separately but I'm pretty sure the version for V8 engines should be quite the same. Part nr. 32131092412. If you ask BMW dealer they will sell you the whole steering rack.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts