BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forum, would appreciate any help. Bought the car about 2 months ago. Was running fine. has quite high miles at almost 240k.

last week my bmw 530d. went into high revs while i was doing 70mph on a bypass, i couldnt control it. tried turning ignition off, but revving continued, finally stopped after pulling the keys out. huge clouds of white smoke coming out of the car. water coolant hose blown off at the top and water all gushed out. I have seeked advise, and been told the turbo was taking on oil causing high revs. i was told turbo is probably gone and head gasket. any help appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Yep, you've had a runaway, the oil seals in the turbo have gone, and the engine oil is sucked into the engine and used as a fuel.
Shutting off the engine or taking your foot off the pedal doesn't help as it is getting its fuel elsewhere.

There's nothing to confirm the head gasket is damaged just yet, it can be just from the overheat, but it is time for a new turbo, and make sure the remaining oil is tipped out of the intercooler.
You might find the exhaust still smokes for a while as oil traces get burnt off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, you've had a runaway, the oil seals in the turbo have gone, and the engine oil is sucked into the engine and used as a fuel.
Shutting off the engine or taking your foot off the pedal doesn't help as it is getting its fuel elsewhere.

There's nothing to confirm the head gasket is damaged just yet, it can be just from the overheat, but it is time for a new turbo, and make sure the remaining oil is tipped out of the intercooler.
You might find the exhaust still smokes for a while as oil traces get burnt off.
Thanks for the reply, what would be your advise for repair? my mechanics are limited and would be getting someone else to do it. If the head gasket is away, i was told best go for a replacment engine as the chances are that with the miles on the car, the head has already been skimmed. at the moment the car is sittin outsite a friends house but want to make a descision as to whether is is worht the repair. i have been told by a few that it may not be worth it because of the miles. thanks!! brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, is it possible to drive it? i havnt tried to start it as i didnt want to do further dammage. or does any work need to be done to it where it sits? cheers much appreciated

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I would avoid driving it, there's a chance you'll restart the runaway-
BMW e46 Turboschaden - YouTube

It can run like that until it runs out of oil or breaks something, and the only failsafe way to stop it is block the air intake.

Maybe try a compression test to see what the headgasket is like as it might have got away with it, and either swap the engine, or just the turbo depending on the results of that.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I doubt the headgasket would have been done before. its not a Vauxhall or rover. these normally run in to the hundreds of thousands with out work. get a compression test first and if it is blown get another engine. bmws don't like the head gaskets doing. its more hassle than its worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, maybe get a commpression test done then. however from anyone ive chatted to, the fact that the engine revved out until it stopped itself probably resulted in the head going. new engine, turbo and fit etc is gonna sting me a grand or more so i think im splitting her :(. Anyone here need parts? as lights etc are all in perfect cond.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts