BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks.

Looking for a bit of advice from people in the know. Tomorrow am looking to buy a 51 Reg 530dSE Touring. It has got full scheduled service history and mileage is at 98000.

Couple of questions. Have read bits of advice and have seen it mentioned to look out on models built 2001 and on, but couldnt see any reason that this should cause concern?

Also if anyone could give me a rundown of what i should make sure im looking at outside the obvious that could maybe save me ending up forking out big in the near future.

Any help at all would be approciated

Thanks in advance :)
Daz

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just sold my 2001 530d auto.
Everyone will tell you to check the swirl flaps, plenty of threads on here. The auto box is sealed for life and an oil change would be advisable. I'd recommend a manual as I've had more than one auto failure, fuel consumption on the auto is pretty poor for a diesel.
All the usual stuff needs checking, they can be quite hard on suspension bushes so check for anything that feels loose of knocking, bush replacement isn't generally that expensive unless they all need doing.
Lastly it's a question of overall condition and how hard it's been driven by previous owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted an auto specifically to be honest. Ive always had manuals and drove a friends 523i auto and loved it.

I owned a 330d before which was manual and was more than happy with the economy for the performance and drive, am aware the auto will use a bit more.

The auto fluid change its hard to know whats best. plenty say change at 100 but then i read that others say it causes problems if you change it.

Will have a good check round the car and listen for anything unusual on the test drive etc. Just looking for heads up on any common problems and how to spot them for when i look at it before parting with my hard earned cash for a lemon :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had a 330d manual 47mpg, then a 530d auto 36mpg, now I'm back to a 330d manual and getting nearer 50mpg, all with the same driving/commute. I used to have a 528i auto and that averaged 25mpg, so anythin g has to be better than petrol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts