BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First time poster, after just acquiring my first E39 - a 2001 525i. As far as I can tell, everything is stock on it at the moment, but I had a query regarding the clutch.

How long should an E39 clutch last? My car has 114,000 miles on the clock, and I'm just going back through the service history to see if it has ever had a new one.

The reason I'm asking is that, although she drives beautifully - like riding in a chesterfield sofa on a cloud, when I'm accelerating in 4th or 5th, the engine seems to rev higher than I think it should before the car picks up. Low gears are fine, but I'm just concerned in case I need a new clutch.

Any assistance gratefully received :)

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
FWIW, my 2001 525d has 125k on the clock, and still has the original clutch. In the mornings, from cold, it feels horrible, like the clutch isnt engaging properly, but after 5 mins or so, its fine. I "think" i know what you mean about the revs more than the speed. Maybe its the DMF?? Im not expert on these though. If your not getting any clutch slip in the first few gears, I wouldnt worry about it :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - it's reassuring! I wonder if it could also be affected because I currently have no traction control at the moment. I'm awaiting a new left-hand rear ABS speed sensor, so occasionally have no speedo and the ABS/ACS light is on.

Still loving the car though! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the clutch is ok for now - I collected 4 x adults and their luggage from the airport yesterday and did a 180 mile round trip on small roads and motorways and the clutch didn't feel like it was slipping once.

As soon as I get my ABS sensor fixed, I'll be happy and sorted :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have 390,000 kms on my original clutch.............. sometimes judders a bit when hot but apart from that no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts