BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing my flexi pipes on the exhaust next week once I have checked out the prices of getting the parts and work done.

I have noticed that when driving there is a sucking/blowing sound that seems to be coming from the passenger footwell/dashboard area. I may be wrong in the area but very difficult to locate the source whilst driving.

It only really occurs when the engine revs reach about 2500rpm when under load. Even with the windows shut it sounds like it comes from the area indicated above.

Is this related to the slightly leaking flexi joints?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Could be, would be worth making sure you haven't got a blocked exhaust, heard a few go past lately hissing away.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Ronnie will have a look.

Ringing around to see if there is anywhere locally that can replace the flexi's so far I have found
Location 1. Replace all assembly £424+VAT but we do have some flexi replacements but need to look at car to know the size
Location 2. Give me a ring and I will see what I can do
Location 3. Need to look at car to find size.

Looks like Saturday will be a busy day for me in the morning.

Ebay looking for the part plus fitting.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I read the thread title and thought this was an entirely differen topic!!

It's a while since I've had sucking/blowing in my footwell/dashboard area of the car, but I didn't want it to stop...........

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can only hear it in the cabin of the car which is why the title of the thread.

I read the thread title and thought this was an entirely differen topic!!

It's a while since I've had sucking/blowing in my footwell/dadsboard area of the car, but I didn't want it to stop...........
Ohh the thread is going down hill now :hihi :rofl

It was the best I could explain the sound as not sure if its either one of those.

Location number 2 on previous thread have given me a range of prices between £490 to £900 plus VAT taking between 2.5 and 5hrs to do :jaw-dropping . With that I would go the decat route :shifty:

Going to see two other garages on Saturday so they can measure the size of the flexis and then give me a price to replace those.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the car to an exhaust centre yesterday saying that I wanted the flexi's checked. Not really happy with the inspection as I could see what he was doing.

Put car on the ramp lifted it up then got a torch out and looked at the exhaust. I can not remember but I am sure that there is a plastic cover under the engine where part of the exhuast is covered so how he expected to see further down I do not know.

Anyway comes back out as says the catalytic converter has gone - £450+VAT. Can be fitted next day if needed but I said I will go away and think, getting it checked out again elsewhere just in case :shifty:.

Hopefully a mate will have a ramp free Friday and we are going to lift the car up and have a look (and measure flexi pipes ) before it goes to the second garage on Saturday morning.

As a side note, what are the legal ramifications of replacing the front cats with lets say one of these. I would, in theory, be saving nearly 50% on a proper part.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Took the car to an exhaust centre yesterday saying that I wanted the flexi's checked. Not really happy with the inspection as I could see what he was doing.

Put car on the ramp lifted it up then got a torch out and looked at the exhaust. I can not remember but I am sure that there is a plastic cover under the engine where part of the exhuast is covered so how he expected to see further down I do not know.

Anyway comes back out as says the catalytic converter has gone - £450+VAT. Can be fitted next day if needed but I said I will go away and think, getting it checked out again elsewhere just in case :shifty:.

Hopefully a mate will have a ramp free Friday and we are going to lift the car up and have a look (and measure flexi pipes ) before it goes to the second garage on Saturday morning.

As a side note, what are the legal ramifications of replacing the front cats with lets say one of these. I would, in theory, be saving nearly 50% on a proper part.
Others will confirm, but the proposed changes to MoT 'standards' next year will make yours (and everyone elses) a fail with these........

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.

Got my brother to have a listen last night after picking him up from work out in the middle of the countryside. Have sort of identified the area the sound is coming from.

It seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine near the back. So I am wondering if there is a hose that has split but with out a light and removing of some engine cover bits not easy to see (was at 9-30 at night). I thought it was only when under load, but with the bonnet open and another person I found I was wrong.

Will have a quick look with a torch before I go to work this morning otherwise it will be a more serious look tonight at a mates.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a quick look but could not see any pipes split but still had most of the plastic covers over the engine and it was raining.

Ronnie, from realoem it does not look like there are any pipes that go to the turbo that run round the back unless you or anyone else knows different. If I can ge tit on a ramp tonight then I at least may be able to see/hear where the noise is coming from.

As a side note as you reach the point where the blowing sound becomes audiable then car does not accelerate as it used to so sure its a pipe somewhere just ned to find it.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Is the engine noisier? any smoke out the exhaust? I'm just wondering if you have split your inlet manifold.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No engine sounds the same as before and now smoke out the back. A little more 'soot' out the back when you hoof it but the intention is to check the EGR and clean it this weekend

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just wondering if you have split your inlet manifold.
Yes is the answer.

Engine bay is rather 'sooty' on the right hand side looking from the front. It seems that there is a split near the rear on the inlet manifold that opens up a bit when going past the 2000 rpm range.

Does not seem to smoke at exhaust but there is a bit more black cloud at the back of the car when going past the 2000rpm mark but think its just being sucked from the engine ba and then out the back.

Will now have to search for either a new inlet manifiold (expensive I think) or a 2nd hand one.

Off now to search the web:frown

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How difficult is it to find a replacement manifold :frown .

Type in E39 525 and you get loads of the manifolds for the pre faclift version which are not the same.

Done a bit more research and the M57 engine uses the same manifold in the E30 330D and the E46 330D as well. Off to search further afield to find one.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you triedd our forum vendors Quarry Motors? you will get a discount with them. Otherwise try our other vendor Hereford BMW for a reduced price genuine item. :)

·
Diamond BFuk Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you triedd our forum vendors Quarry Motors? you will get a discount with them. Otherwise try our other vendor Hereford BMW for a reduced price genuine item. :)
Tried quarry motors via the 'findapart' website and got nothing.

Tring a few other large BMW dismantlers but will also try Hereford BMW jsut to see the price of a new one.

Is the manifold a weak part in the 5 series or is it just because of the mileage(130k) of my car?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts