BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 E39 525D
Vibration between 50 & 70 mph it gets worse when braking.Also wheel bearing rumble possbly from front nearside. Question: Any ideas what is causing the vibration as pads & discs were renewed 7500 miles ago Could the worn wheel bearing be causing the vibration but it is not really that noisy.
I would welcome any thought & advice

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Could be the bearing , but do the easy stuff first and get the wheels balanced - a lot of wheels have thrown off the weights due to the dire condition of our roads. When braking though usually suggests a warped disk - they may have been replaced but were they replaced with 'correct' parts?

I assume you have checked the inflation and condition of the tyres?.......

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've lost count of the number of times I've responded to this for E39 owners, including my neighbour.

The E39 is perhaps the most fickle car when it comes to pads and discs.

I only stick to OEM which is ATE Pads (dusty but they work) and OEM discs (Also ATE) if you are going to insist on anything OEM or OE for and E39 it needs to be pads and discs.

My neighbour used E bay crap discs on his 530D and Mintex pads.
He has had nothing but trouble with them, despite my warnings he proceeded and now regrets it greatly.

Judder from pads binding at low speeds, steering wheel wobble and judder above 40mph, violent judder under braking.

Distorted discs, and pads leaving material on the disc high spots give the judder, Mintex are complete crap in my opinon, and if a wheelbarrow had brakes I'd still be reluctant to put them on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting...... my E39 Touring was last serviced by BMW and included Discs, pads all round. Yet I still have issues with the wobbles.
I am due new tyres and have been told to avoid Pirellis as they can transmit all sorts of cr*p up to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why does my 525 auto,when going up a hill,stay at a speed say 60mph and won't increase in speed, even if it drops a gear higher revs but no increase speed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why does my 525 auto,when going up a hill,stay at a speed say 60mph and won't increase in speed, even if it drops a gear higher revs but no increase speed
Uuuuummmmm not sure you posted this in the right place mate!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting...... my E39 Touring was last serviced by BMW and included Discs, pads all round. Yet I still have issues with the wobbles.
I am due new tyres and have been told to avoid Pirellis as they can transmit all sorts of cr*p up to the steering wheel.
Gwelich

If you are having these probelms - check the rims, (you probably have done this already) after this - If you have a 6 pot - check the front thrust arm bushes - these can give similar effect, and often appear fine until you take them out. if they are shot - you will have steering wheel judder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts