BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, have i got a faulty fuel gauge, or sender on my 2001 525d.

Scenario,

The gauge USED to be ok from full to half, then from half downwards, it went weird, like going back up to 3/4's and staying there, then at next switch on, back down to a 1/4 and so on.

The other night, i did a "Cluster Reset" and the gauge read ok (ish) so i filled up last night before a trip, and the gauge
didnt move, it just stayed at empty. I did my journey, switched off and back on again, and the gauge read correctly, and gave me the correct range.

So, is it the gauge that is faulty, or a sender fault. Im asking this "before" i get charged for the diagnostics. Speaking of which, i did a "self" cluster diagnostics on the fuel senders via the hidden menu, and it came back ok ( i think)

Has anyway had the same symptoms, and what was the result??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like a sender problem.
I agree,the sender unit is the part that's fitted with the rheostat which varies the current to the fuel guage thus moving the needle in relation to whatever current is supplied to it.
Just to check the guage itself,disconnect at the tank and feed 12v to the guage,it should read full with power and empty when disconnected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts