BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad Gutted left Big Bertha alone for a week and she punishes me with a terrible rattle when I started her up again. I pulled over to look at what the problem was and Lo and Behold the nearside front spring had sheered, snapped clean in half.
Just waiting for the garage to get back to me with a quote, The ride has been somewhat bouncy for a while so I will bite the bullet and get both shocks and springs replaced. Ihave also asked for a quote on all four getting done to hopefully tighten the ride up a bit.:jaw-dropping I think they are booking their summer holidays whilst rubbing their hands with glee!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
be honest I have no clue they were on it when I bought it, I did have a hell of a time when I first got it sorting out judder at 60mph until I found out I needed to fit spigot rings (Cheers A20RYM). The car has felt spongy for a while and tends to bottom out when hitting the bottom of hills at anything above 40mph. So I suppose this will spur me on to getting the shocks done as well. It really was an awful sound metal on metal rattling I just thought ouch that sounds expensive!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you mean? are the wheels causing stress on the shocks, or they just totally unsuited for he car? I really want to sort out the ride and the handling of the car, if this means new wheels then I will be willing to change them. Sorry for the daft questions but I just thought wheels were wheels lol. would it be just worth replacing the front springs and getting new wheels? If so what do you recommend? I must say though I do like the look of them.
Cheers
Si

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mmmm just been reading through the tyre and wheel forum and it looks like the wheels are replicas anyway they have 245/40/zr18 tyres on both front and back looks like Ii will have to look into getting new wheels after all, this is going to be expensive. The front tyres need replacing anyway so I was wondering if there any good deals out there for wheels/tyres that would fit my car? Also would I still need to change my shocks? or just replace my front springs?
Cheers
Si

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The car will ride firmer with the lower profile tyres, I'd say wait and see how you feel once the suspension is fitted, also if you look on the rear of one of your wheels it will have the ET(Offset) post it up and we can tell you if that is correct for your car. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
These may not improve your ride but I would imagine they will be cheaper than the oem springs and in my opinion would improve the looks of your motor. Also, could the job not be done by yourself? Maybe worth considering to save some cash?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-7-Series-E38-740i-06-94-01-APEX-LOWERING-SPRING-KIT_W0QQitemZ270356870913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270356870913&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well finally got Big Bertha back from the garage (who are now incidentally booking their retirements on the wedge of cash I have just parted with) and I must say I have finally driven the greatest car I have ever owned.
When I took her in for the front springs to be replaced I noticed that the rear tyre had picked up an unwanted visitor (large screw) which meant I was looking at replacing all four tyres as well (not just the front two that were worn).
This meant that I was looking at about £550, added to this I knew that the wheels were totally wrong for the car and that I would still have a wonky ride that would chew my tyres up. So I decided enough was enough and went for it.
Big Bertha is now the proud owner of some new wheels that fit her beautifully, are the correct offset and have the correct bore size.
The guys at the garage all joking aside really helped me out with tons of advice and thanks to you guys on here I knew enough to know that they were not snowballing me.
The result is fantastic she is gloriously smooth and handles like a dream even when pushed (obviously within the bounds of Her Britannic Majesty's traffic regulations).
Who needs a holiday this year I will just sit in Big Bertha and think pleasant thoughts!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are "BMW multi spoke replicas" I couldn't afford the real thing but the don't look too bad I had been searching on ebay for some M Parallels but couldn't find any the right size for a 7 at price I could afford:eek.
Cheers
Si

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yet again I am prevented from doing anything by the Welsh monsoon! I will update my Sig ASAP when that mythical thing called the sun shines again!
I went with the 18 inch rims as they looked good and I couldnt bring myself to go to 16s.
It handles really well at speed slight judder at 65/70 but no where near as bad as it used to be I will keep an eye on it as I have to get them re-torqued after 100 miles, which will prob be in a couple of days as I just can't stop driving her. I can actually accelerate around round abouts without fear of hurtling off into the nearest house! It does still feel a little bouncy so I may have to look at new shocks eventually when I can find a buyer for my other kidney.
I may even invest in some decent tyres when I am sure they are going to wear evenly lol.
Once again thanks for your advice guys
Cheers
Si

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Yet again I am prevented from doing anything by the Welsh monsoon! I will update my Sig ASAP when that mythical thing called the sun shines again!
I went with the 18 inch rims as they looked good and I couldnt bring myself to go to 16s.
It handles really well at speed slight judder at 65/70 but no where near as bad as it used to be I will keep an eye on it as I have to get them re-torqued after 100 miles, which will prob be in a couple of days as I just can't stop driving her. I can actually accelerate around round abouts without fear of hurtling off into the nearest house! It does still feel a little bouncy so I may have to look at new shocks eventually when I can find a buyer for my other kidney.
I may even invest in some decent tyres when I am sure they are going to wear evenly lol.
Once again thanks for your advice guys
Cheers
Si
Ignore the 100 miles mate, get them re-torqued now. I have known wheels to work loose well before 100 miles were up.:yikes

:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.