BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can give me a clue to the following. I get an occasional "groan" from the front end when turning 90 degrees uphill into the drive or a uphill road.

It seems to occur whether I turn in left or right but only occurs about 20% of the time.

Otherwise everything drives fine. Appreciate any advice /similar experience

·
Banned
478 Posts
I wonder if anyone can give me a clue to the following. I get an occasional "groan" from the front end when turning 90 degrees uphill into the drive or a uphill road.

It seems to occur whether I turn in left or right but only occurs about 20% of the time.

Otherwise everything drives fine. Appreciate any advice /similar experience
It could well be a wheel bearing on its way out... if you jack a front wheel up, grab the top of the wheel and the bottom of the wheel with your hands and give ot a wobble to see if there is any movement in the wheel hub.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

Can you replicate it by turning the wheel on a lock and bouncing on the car? If so I would then get it put on a four post ramp and have someone listen and check while the car was bounced

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe this is a combination of ATF fluid level as well as wear on bearings. I have had the same issue but rectification of both has cured it. However mine is a 1996 e38 and I think that age on such heavy cars does have an impact at some point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The groan when steering usually means low ATF fluid level,which was the case with my 728i.It's wise to keep a lookout on this fluid level as too low causes a lot of damage down the road

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.