BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the due to the economic issue, the government has either postponed the increased VED tax bands which initially saw big engined cars being reduced to nothing.

With all these cars now starting to go back up in value quite healthily has made me wonder. Have the VED bands for 2001+ cars been scrapped altogether or are they still on hold?

IIRC 2005/6+ cars will be never the less be subject to the VED bands.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I also heard there was plans at one point to increase the tax on 10+ year old cars as they were deemed to be more polluting and not as economical but don't know how much truth there is in that. It does sound like something the government would of done to generate revenue sorry i meant to be greener:lol. I don't think the +2001 plans have been scrapped, just prostponed until the economy has sorted itself out somewhat from what i've heard:frown.

·
Banned
478 Posts
i thinks it has been postponed until next april. Not heard anything about increasing tax on 10+ year cars. Last i heard, they are increasing the tax on the old car taxation system. (Pre-2001) based on engine size, before 1549cc and after 1549cc. But thats it. I very much doubt the pre 2001 system will ever change other than yearly increases. The government profit heavily on that tax system and will continue to do so. The only reason the new tax system is in place, so less polluting cars are rewarded, and more polluting cars penalised. The old system was a little basic for that reason. As time goes on the new tax system will grow. As old cars die and new cars are purchased.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Will be interesting to see how many people that have bought such cars will want to get rid when they can't afford to run them and how that will affect values once again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts