BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've recently purchased an X reg BMW 520i.

The car has an intermittent speedo problem. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I checked the forum and it sounded like an ABS sensor problem. Took it to a local indy garage and he plugged the computer in and confirmed it was the ABS sensors. Gave him the ok to replace them. When he opened up he noticed that the abs sensors had been replaced very recently.

The abs lights were not coming on so he took the cluster out and it seems that some cowboy used a screwdriver to prise out the LED's for the ABS light. It seems that the sensors were replaced but the fault was not going away so the cowboy took the lights out!

Anyway, after further investigation the garage think it is a modulator problem. Stealers have quoted £585 + VAT?

Anyone else had this problem? Is it possible to get the modulator cheaper? Are they programmable to use from one car to another?

I also need the cluster replaced. Anyone know where I could get a second hand one. Can a second hand one be programmed to my car? stealers are asking for £525 + vat.

If I can put second hand parts in and they can be reprogrammed, does anyone know of a garage in and around London that can do this for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess what you guys are telling me is that I can purchase used parts and get them reprogrammed to my car? Would I need to go to BMW to get them reporgrammed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts