BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Not usually on here for help but here goes....

Got some steering wheel vibration/wobble when braking. At all speeds, fast or slow, ONLY when braking. The discs / pads aren't that old, 1 yr, 5000 miles. Bought from Euro Car Parts - PAGID.

The mating faces between disc/hub are perfectly spotless, the caliper slider bolts also are clean and lubed with a smidge of copper slip. The pads sliding surfaces are clean / free to move and lubed with copper slip.

When you look at the discs, they look pretty much as new, no lip, generally rust free, pads look as new.

I did a run out check on the discs this weekend with a DTI. Nearside front disc came out as 0.003" = 0.076mm, drivers side 0.0025" = 0.0635mm.

Ive looked at the calipers as far as you can see. My 'assistant' pushed the brake pedal and the pistons seem to move out ok and even retract slightly when the pedal is released.

I've got new Michelin Pilot sport 2 tyres on the front, genuine BMW MV2's 225/40 R18, properly balanced, and a full KDS alignment done in October. Wheel / disc mating faces clean. You cannot see the wheel wobbling when spinning it on the car.

Car had new lower wishbone bushes (Lollypop) in the summer (Lemfoerder), new track rod ends + Roll bar links (Lemfoeder).

This vibration hasn't just occurred, but has been getting progressively worse since i guess the Summer.
I'm reluctant to go and buy new discs / pads / calipers on just a whim..!!

I have thought about getting a caliper seal repair kit from BMW and doing a caliper rebuild (within my capabilities)...Neccessary..?

Does the run out on the discs seem ok..?

Any advice from people please..!!!!

Many thanks,

Dave..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
rule of thumb its either warped discs if its this you can usually feel a pulsing thru the pedal if you apply it slightly but do not brake..

or other things:

worn lolipops

sometime buckled or poorly weighted wheels and tyres can do it..

a seized caliper or stiff slider on the caliper when applied its pulls the disc to one side distorting it from true as its not squeezing the 2 halves of the pads against the disc evenly this can be common on single pot calipers like BMW..

any loose or worn components on the suspension can have an oscillating effect under braking worst one is lolipops(brake reaction bush) tho..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you tried removing the discs & doing a run-out measurement of the hub/flange assembly ??
I know it sounds odd but I've had this on certain cars before & once I'd replaced the bearings & flanges the problem was cured , worth a go perhaps !!
Hope it helps
Mark

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine and ruled out warp discs because they were only on the car for 1000 miles, checked everything else and couldnt identify the problem. Decided enough was enough wnd changed the brake discs and pads again..... Problem solved.

If your stering wheel is shaking whilst your braking then more than likely its your brake discs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED

I have fitted new discs, pads and calipers to the front the car.

Textar discs and pads, Pagid rebuilt calipers. All from Euro Car Parts.

Brakes now ultra smooth, no vibration..!

Just got to bed them in now, done 100 miles very gingerly so far.

Very happy....!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts