BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
given the recent post on upgrading water pumps i have a question. whats the protocol, if changing the water pump to uprated metal impeller jobbie, should the thermostat and radiator be changed as precaution along with expansion tank.

im thoroughly confused on the matter :confused

i am approaching 80k and have a list of maintenance planned, just wondering what i shuld and shouldnt do regards the above :frown

·
Registered
147 Posts
given the recent post on upgrading water pumps i have a question. whats the protocol, if changing the water pump to uprated metal impeller jobbie, should the thermostat and radiator be changed as precaution along with expansion tank.

i am approaching 80k and have a list of maintenance planned, just wondering what i shuld and shouldnt do regards the above :frown
im looking at doing mine im goin for belts pump and thermostat! i dont think your need to do expansion and you wont need to change the rad

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fandabbiedozie, just reading elsewhere what others are doing, sure there will be loads of opinion and different schools of thought. think i need to get some garage space and save me some money.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Personally,

don't need to change the rad unless its buggered.

Expansion tank? that maybe a good idea as these are weak point on the E46's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good news on the rad, was on gsf pricing parts there, doesnt seem too pricey for expansion tank or belts, heard few horror stories of expansion tanks bursting wthout warning.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts

When replacing the water pump, it's a good time to change the thermostat and V-belt and Air con belt if fitted.

I didn't replace the radiator or expansion tank although I did clean the tank with hot water as there was scum that had settled in the bottle. This was easily done on mine, poured hot water through the top and released the drain plug on the bottom. Also gave a scrub with an old toothbrush:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The tanks weaken from repeated thermal cycling :)

Also could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.