BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there this is my first post.

I bought a car today (first BMW) and it was almost cutting out on acceleration. Its was losing power. Notice that the yellow oil warning light was coming on intermittently ... don't know if those two problems are related.

The car was fine on the test drive so I am really puzzled because I had it inspected by Autoco and it came out fine no problems on the driving test.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

Andy

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The best course of action here is to have an engine diagnostic scan performed:thumbsup

There could be a number of factors associated with this fault but a scan will help point you in the right direction:cool

Please post any codes up here so our more knowledgeable members can assist further:thumbsup

Do you have any warranty on the vehicle?

·
Registered
25 Posts
just to clarify, does it do it all the time or just when you ve got your foot down hard? Is it as if your hitting a brick wall when it cuts out? if so it sounds like its hitting the boost cut (saftey feature to stop overboosting/melting pistons etc). yellow oil light means low oil level so just check your oil befor you drive it any further just to make sure its not giving you a true reading

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem occurs all the time both in low and high revs. When you are driving it seem as though there is a fuel starvation to the engine ... like someome invisible force slowing the car down. It is quite jerky at times.

I do not have a warranty but have returned the car to the trader to get the problem sorted out. He seems to think that it is the MAF sensor, the car will be diagnosed and fixed at his expense.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
mine was behaving in a similar way shortly after I bought it - I thought it was the MAF but it turned out to be one of the brake calipers was seizing about ten minutes into each journey (that was my invisible force slowing the car down)

Before discovering it wasn't the MAF i disconnected but the same happened after ten minutes - then I noticed one of the front wheels was very hot after a short journey - leading me to work out the brake was on a bit too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.