BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm a young guy with a BMW 320D (V reg) and one of the headlights has gone on my front passenger side. I can obtain a replacement bulb but how easy is it to change the bulb? Do I need to lift my bonnet to get access? If so, how do I pop open my bonnet?

Please speak to me in lamens terms as I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to cars. Apologies for that, but any help and advice you can offer me will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
what you need to do is find the oogey maflop down in the whats his face on the thingy, pull that and the bit over the front will doing and then you look down behind the big round bit and there should be a thingymagig, pull that off pull out the bobbidybob put the new bobbidy bob back in, refit the thingymagig push down the bit that goes doing go put the whatsits and and check if they make you go arrghh in the eye, if it does then pow. if not then you might need to consult the err.., you the kno the thing with pictures.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i dont know exactly but ill tell you roughly...
the bonnet release is usually in the front passenger footwell, if yuo open the door and look inside it should be on the side nearest the wheel, pull that lever, if its not there try the drivers side and if its still not there, check under the steering wheel in the plastic housing.

soon as you find it pull it and you will hear the bonnet make a doing sound and it wil lift slightly, go round the front and now you need to find the next bonnet release, lift the bonnet up as much as you can and look inside for a little lever, find that pull or push or w.e you need to do to get it to release.
once thats done lift the all the way up, the bonnet should have the same struts as the boot so it should stay up on its own, if not look for a long bar that pulls out of the body that goes into the bonnet.

once that is done look behind the light, look for a bunch of wires going directly into the light, if you can pull the clip out there do it, i think you have to unscrew it but im not sure, if you cant get to it you might have to pull the cover of to get to the bulb just remember to follow the wires directly into the back of the light and you will be fine.

once you get to the bulb pull it out but carefully incase you brake it, push the new one back in carefully and then reverse what you done to get it out.

its pretty straight forward even for the clueless, just take your time and think logically.

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you really are clueless heres a few more things to look out for, the main bulb will be the biggest one, well when i say biggest its actually quite small, but imagine the lenght of your little finger with a large silver round bit on the bottom, it should be in the centre of the light itself.
you shouldnt have to take anything of the car to get to it, just look right behind the light once the bonnet is up and you should have a better idea of how to do it.
again i havnt done one on you model but on mine it was a doddle so you shouldnt have any worries.
if you pop down to halfords and buy one they should fit it for you for free, they done my wipers a while ago for free, just silver tongue them

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Hi Andy

You'll need to have the bonnet up for this. Have you got an owner's manual, that might give you instructions on how to do this. I just had a quick search on google, but the first few links didn't give any guides.

This one might help though - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=592910

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but DO NOT touch the bulb (glass) with your fingers, if you do it could destroy itself the first time you turn it on.

the above applies if it is your halogen light you are changing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts