BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Everytime I get out of my car I hear a squeak, When I give it a good bounce at the back I also get this squeak on both sides.

So I showed my mechanic who also gave it a good bounce and said shock absorbers

Does anyone else have any ideas? or is he right?

Also, does anyone know if the shocks are sold in pairs, as the gsf website is saying 72.50 for my shock struts (guessing these are the same as absorbers) and im hoping this is for both sides as otherwise theres no way I can afford over 140quid for the shocks plus another £60 for labour at this current moment in time, as it is the emptiest my wallet has been for a while. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've got the same issue on my 325ti (same year and mileage as yours) - the drivers side rear shock has some 'misting' on it according to the mechanic who looked today. They're sold indivually from what I gather although I found a site were the start at £47 each - http://www.motormec.co.uk/susp.html

I spoke with them today and they seemed helpful and pretty clued up - he said that they supply parts to a lot of the indy garages.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers sam

I think i just read your post now, and I also just came across motomec too so cheers for the link. Well 47 x 2 is 94 so i guess I cant argue and just thank god for it being the rear and no the front as they seem to be more expensive, I reckon ill add a pair of bump stops too so hopefully it will make for a smoother ride. I will search for the price of shocks and repost if i find cheaper.

Also I paid about 37£ for textar pads from gsf yesterday, so not sure if motormec is cheaper.

cheers

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Before you spend your money, stupid as it sounds, does it squeak with the handbrake off??

Can't remember who posted this recently, but read that a squeak when you get out of the car was the handbrake shoes rubbing on the backplate and they just needed cleaning out....

Just a thought, cause if the wallet is empty, then this might save a few quid and put some happy faces all around..:thumbsup

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mate your a star, if this works youll save me going for the old overdraft :)

Im hoping its this, and it would make sense as whats the likeliness of both shocks going at the same time.

Ill post back my results

cheers

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
mate your a star, if this works youll save me going for the old overdraft :)

Im hoping its this, and it would make sense as whats the likeliness of both shocks going at the same time.

Ill post back my results

cheers
It was just a thought, I only remembered because I read it so recently and mine does the same but it does not really bother me that much at the moment;).

I am no expert, but I would not think that both shocks would go together, and a squeeking noise?! Hey it's worth a shot and might save some coin!

Good luck with it, fingers crossed!:thumbsup

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kevin youve saved me a whole heap of money,I bounced while handbrake down and no sound, I bounced with handbrake up and sound.

Ill take it to my mechanic to sort, however i reckon the shoes will need changing as it seems to squeak and stop the car a bit late as in ill pull the handbrake up and the car will fall back.

Ill try and drive slowly while pulling the hand brake up slightly to try and clean it but if this doesnt work ill get a can of compressed air for to spray otherwise last resort will be mechanic

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.