BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help, just tried removing my waterpump on my bmw 318ci e46 2001 m43 engine... when the top extraction hole has snapped off.. i was using 2x m6 bolts and its seized in, hence broke the soft metal of my old water pump... i was thinking of using a bearing separator to remove it but cant find anything suitable... does anyone know of a technique or tool... cheers lads...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

The last time I had a problem like this I wound the last remaining bolt in a bit to apply some pressure then used a hammer and pry bar and tapped the water pump to try breaking the "corrosion" seal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry ronnie, i will do next time... i tried tapping the water pump and using the bottom extraction screw but to no joy... i was looking at bearing separators but my cars off the road now so im stuck for wheels...thinking about a match and petrol can as the answer!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no worrys neal,
thanks anyway... easyouts are really good but not in this case... i have been looking for a solution but theres nothing out there, i may have to get a mobile mech out who might have just the tool...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
no worrys neal,
thanks anyway... easyouts are really good but not in this case... i have been looking for a solution but theres nothing out there, i may have to get a mobile mech out who might have just the tool...
He will do the same as I said in post 2, or he will have to try and make something up, I've only ever had this happen once in the multitude of pumps I have changed on BMW's last one being on Friday on a e39 :hihi

The e36 I did was stuck and broke the threaded portion off one side, I screwed a bolt in the good side, then used a hammer and pry bar and gave it some taps to loosen it off, took some time and loads of patience, you need to be careful you don't break the front cover though, if you don't feel confident then get a good mechanic on the job. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress update!!!

just to let you all know i've managed to get my water pump out... i had remove the thermostat which must of broke the vacuum i guess and got the lever bar and a hammer... BUT one of the threads on the block is knackered...
when i tried to tighten up the new pump all FINGER tight, the bolt just wont tighten up... i believe its a m6 thread... can i just use a longer bolt hoping it will bite or will i have to use a tap/die set..... any help appreciated..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sucess

cheers ronnie for the reply,
i have managed to re-tap the threads using a draper helicoil set, pretty slow work to ensure its straight etc...
ive fitted the water pump re-filled the coolant system and bled the system.. alls working well and engine sounds so much quieter... one problem though is the thermostat is meking a rattling noise like its has a bead rattling around in it!!! any ideas ronnie? i can reproduce the noise by squeezing the coolant pipes...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
cheers ronnie for the reply,
i have managed to re-tap the threads using a draper helicoil set, pretty slow work to ensure its straight etc...
ive fitted the water pump re-filled the coolant system and bled the system.. alls working well and engine sounds so much quieter... one problem though is the thermostat is meking a rattling noise like its has a bead rattling around in it!!! any ideas ronnie? i can reproduce the noise by squeezing the coolant pipes...
That will be the "jiggle pin" as I call it, it is there to help bleed the air out the cooling system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers again

jiggle pin!!! thats good news i thought i had bought a duff thermostat.... i take it once the air is all bled out of the system then it will quieten down..
thanks again ronnie... your a fountain of knowledge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.