BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please HELP!!!
MY 318 coupe has started to sound like a diesel... the engine sounds like its running faster and a rattling noise can be heard from underneath my car when pulling off... Its recently been serviced but nothing was mentioned.... I would like a few ideas so when i stick it in for a check up im not palmed off with a random guess and a massive bill.... Also it feels like its lost power as well... Any help would be welcomed.... cheers

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Can anyone please HELP!!!
MY 318 coupe has started to sound like a diesel... the engine sounds like its running faster and a rattling noise can be heard from underneath my car when pulling off... Its recently been serviced but nothing was mentioned.... I would like a few ideas so when i stick it in for a check up im not palmed off with a random guess and a massive bill.... Also it feels like its lost power as well... Any help would be welcomed.... cheers
Hi there,

I think you need to get this done as an urgent priority

Diagnostic code scan

and then if you can post back up with the exact fault code numbers we can give you some good help :thumbsup

There is details in the above thread about where to go, what to ask and what to pay :thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quickie update.... my car is booked in for tuesday for a scan/read... the fella thinks the rattling is coming from the engine block.. thinks it could be the valves!!!... any ideas welcome???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a follow up: my car went in the garage today apparently no fault codes as i was told and all is ok except the oil level sensor which is costing £190 all in... got told the rattling was the tappets apparently when its cold the hyd oil drains down.. i did explain about it happens when its warm as well but said everything is ok.. So its wait and see... is there anything that can be done to clean the tappets i.e a cleaner fluid etc... (great site by the way loads of info and good to have some background info when dealing garages)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The only thing you need to do is ensure the tappets are correctly set/adjusted (this never gets done at service intervals) and ensure the oil feed to the rocker area is clean.

Some similar engine noises issues are caused by faulty clucth release/thrust bearings and also failing CATs that are slowly disintergrating internally causing the metal substrate to fly around inside.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Fortunately, (or unfortunately,depending on the way you look at it!) the tappets on your e46 are hydraulic, IE have no adjustment, they are all done by hydraulic pressure from the oil pump

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Fortunately, (or unfortunately,depending on the way you look at it!) the tappets on your e46 are hydraulic, IE have no adjustment, they are all done by hydraulic pressure from the oil pump
Ronnie on the same note, why does our service manual handbook state check and adjust valve clearances if they are not adjustable? are they hydraulic on both the E36 and E46?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Does it have a little star/asterisk/asterix/blah by it? :confused

The check refers to if it's getting noisy, the adjust is for other models in my opinion, Hydraulic tappets aren't adjustable obviously, then you have shim type buckets which are adjustable(but only by re-shimming which takes.............zzzzzzzzzzz) and lastly proper adjustable ones,like found on BMW M20 engines etc, like here http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E30-Valve_Adjust/E30-Valve_Adjust.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info once again... i went down before to collect my car but its not ready!!! the poor bloke is maxed out with work so mines on a back burner... he claims he managed to get the rattling noise i mentioned about, he seems to think changing the oil and doing a head clean with a cleaner solution will sort that out but im not holding my breath... when i get it back and fingers crossed its ok i will give a update... thanks again for replys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update!!! got my car back and the oil level sensor has sorted out warning light... the garage eventually found the rattling noise he thinks its the chain tensioner as well but he wont touch it, seems to think its a massive job.... i ve been reading these posts and as far as i can tell seems tricky but do-able..... anyone got any links or advice for changing a tensioner???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem fixed

just to update my thread... it turns out the noise was the water pump!!!
i took off the drive belts and the bearings were shot on the pump... thanks all for the info and help... this site is a life saver!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts