BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 year old 330ci (e46) and after full BMW delaership history, given the age of the car I have decided to go independent, also BMW wanted about £350 for the above work...?

Can anyone recommend a good independnt garage in East Sussex near Brighton/Hastins/Eastourne area?

Also, how much have other pople paid for similar work - both independent and main dealer?

What brake fuid and coolant is recommended?

Thanks Alan

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
At any independant garage the oil+coolant+brake fluid will cost you about an hours labour + parts. May be in the region of £160.

Brake fluid is DOT 4 IIRC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
£350 :confused

Oil Service (including microf change) = £160
Brake fluide renewal = £65
Coolant renewal = £45

All prices include VAT and 4+ discount.

Best to shop around :thumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
to the OP you can always come down my way, SW london/twickenham and come to my private garage and do it there one weekend. that should save you some money! brakes are a two man job for bleeding them, i am thinking of picking up a brake bleeding kit too! PM me if you fancy doing it. No charge obviously.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, does anyone know exactly what work is carried out during an Oil Service?

Also am i correct in assuming that coolant and brake fluids should be changed every two years?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks all, does anyone know exactly what work is carried out during an Oil Service?
This is what BMW UK state they do on a oil service:

Oil Service: 3 Series Petrol Engine
  • Change the engine oil and filter element.
  • Reset the service level indicator according to BMW directive.
  • Air conditioner or automatic air conditioning system:
    -Change micro-filter.
  • Front and rear brake pads:
    -Check brake pad wear using gauge. (An additional charge must be levied if brake pads are to be changed).
    -Clean the brake recess, check the brake discs.
    -With alloy wheels; grease wheel centering surfaces.
    -If rear brake pads are changed; check parking brake linings.
  • Parking brake; bed down and check operation, adjust according to BMW directive if necessary.

An Indy will change the oil and oil filter by default and can be asked to check the brakes too to see if they need work. Air filter is very easy to do.

Also am i correct in assuming that coolant and brake fluids should be changed every two years?
Yep, brake fluid and coolant renewed at least every two years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you have gone into more of an Inspection service Arun. Oil service is just that...an oil service. They are not going to take your alloys off and grease the hubs etc...

Brake fluid = 2 yrs.
Coolant renewal = recommended 2 yrs, but not to exceed 4 yrs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nah, just a driveway and a couple of jacks/axle stands, have some small metal ramps but they dont tend to fit under the bumper of most cars. :D

never worked on a bmw before as I've been lazy and not done anything to mine yet, but have done the same stuff to vectras and 200sx's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think you have gone into more of an Inspection service Arun. Oil service is just that...an oil service. They are not going to take your alloys off and grease the hubs etc...
Just quoting the official oil service schedule…..Whether or not some dealers actually do that extra work is debatable….they all bloody well should for the prices they charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
brake bleeding

wonder if you can give me some advise on brakes, bmw e46 w reg 2000 diesel,changed the 2 front flexi hoses and the back brake pipe, cant seem to get the air out of system, tried all i know , 2 man pump pedal, a the self bleed, no joy , stil air in bloody brakes and the abs light is staying on

·
Registered
289 Posts
oil service at bmw dealers for an E46 6 pot engine should be £129
dont know what the rest costs. Had mine done a few weeks ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.