BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Looking for some help with a recent problem with my car:

I was driving up the road the other day in the rain, with the wipers on auto. After about an hour they stopped working. I thought it may have been a problem with the rain sensor, but it was the same at all stick positions. I pulled in off the motorway (hard to see!), and had a poke about the fusebox. Couldn't find any fuses for the front wipers, and couldn't see any damage around the wipers themselves. Tried again after 5 mins and they were working again so I set off back on my way. 15 mins later and they stopped working again.... and so on. Today they weren't working at all initially, even when cold, and then after 15 mins of driving they started working again.... so not necessarily a heat issue.

Anyway, I've had a look around the forums, and it seems like there's two possible explanations: either the relay in the E-box or the motor itself. I figure the relay is easy to change (can you just pull it out?), whereas the motor will be much more difficult. Can anybody advise which is most likely?

When the wipers do actually work then they seem to work well - normal speed, no strange noises, nothing to suggest any mechanical issues whatsoever. And when they don't work they don't respond to anything whatsoever. They never stop mid cycle either, always at the 'idle' position. So I'm fairly sure it's an electrical problem. Could these symptoms be caused by a motor fault, or is it safe to assume a new relay will fix it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
wiper fault

hi i am having a siular problem on my e46 touring the wippers work fine on intermitant mode but do nothing on constant mode i do not have auto wippers just plain old ones, also the rear wipper does nothing at all
so the other day i had a spare hour so i removed the relay and swapped it with one i found laying in the relay housing, i guess some one changed it before. well it done exactly the same thing so i swapped them back over, but now and heres the strange bit ........ intermittant still works fine but wen i switch up to constant the rear wiper comes on.
has any one else seen or heard of anything like this before ?????

:jaw-dropping

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.