BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after a quick :hihi continental flit just before christmas, I noticed some whine at higher speeds (i.e. above 110mph); putting my foot on the clutch made the whine disappear, so it's not wheel bearings - but it's definitely from the rear axle area. The noise got a good bit louder the faster I went - at an indicated 150mph it was very droney - but disappeared again when I slowed down to more respectable speeds. So... I suspect the diff. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I've been wanting to put another diff in there for a while now anyhow (I don't like the 2.93 diff in the 330i - it begs for a 6th gear), so this might be my chance.

Thanks in advance.

PS where I was in Germany, the speed was legal, so no lectures on that front please ;) Just a technical response required :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drive slower or stay in uk, btw what diff would you put in
Ha ha ha :thumbsup I'd have a 316i if I wanted to drive slower :silly
I think I had mentally settled on a 2.68 to replace the current 2.93 in there, they're out of the 320d/td. I'd need to change the flanges, but that's about it. Slightly slower acceleration, but approx. 10% lower revs when cruising.

Oil level ok? Gears will whine eventually probably just found the speed it whines at?
It has never whined at those speeds before now. I need to have a look, maybe put some new oil in there to prolong its life (slightly).

Did you get that starting issue sorted Paddy?
It's a freezing temperatures issue only, so it's fine again at the moment - 100% starts every time. I'll investigate when these damn nightshifts end :frown

1 - 6 of 6 Posts