Votes: 2 8.0%
  • What's a Short Shift?

Votes: 3 12.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not keen on the play when in gear, would you fit a short shifter? If so what kit?? Include ease of fitting!

Thanks! :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I have tried a few and these seem to be the best compromise. The Z3M shifter is too short for everyday driving and the Ebay ones are awful, they really stress the gearbox....:frown

Much nicer to drive with them, the shift is more positive and not so sloppy...:cool

I ended up using one from a 1.9 Z3, but im not sure if the E46 shifter is the same..:confused

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm interesting Steve, might be interesting if i can get one from a breakers if they're in fact different. (i'll try and have a look now.)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found this by you steve... Good for people reading with an E36.

This is what you need
25 11 7 527 252 Z3 shift lever
25 11 1 220 600 Lever Bush
25 11 220 379 Lower Spring Clip

All these are BMW part numbers and it cost me about £45 ish.
Its the best i have come across without spending a fortune, the shift is nice and crisp without being uncomfortable. If you need any help with fitting ill give you some pointers because ive fitted 5 or 6 of these now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At a guess i'd say at least 10mm - sometimes it's a bit shit going into gears, like 3 times a year, like i've really gotta force it. (NOT GRIND - i've grinded my gears lightly twice since i've had it)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That a simple enough job Steve??

·
Registered
611 Posts
£45 is pretty good - the only descent kits I can find for the E46 are £145.

As Bonse, asked, is it difficlut job to do? I want to do mine to a shorten the throw but also sort out some of the slop in my gear change, so was thinking that I might as well try and do it all at the same time.

Cheers

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
£45 is pretty good - the only descent kits I can find for the E46 are £145.

As Bonse, asked, is it difficlut job to do? I want to do mine to a shorten the throw but also sort out some of the slop in my gear change, so was thinking that I might as well try and do it all at the same time.

Cheers
That a simple enough job Steve??
Its not a bad job to do, just can be a PITA to get the shifter lower clip off as the exhaust and gearbox get in the way.

I will do a write up next week if you guys remind me. My memory isnt great....:embarrassed

·
Registered
611 Posts
Its not a bad job to do, just can be a PITA to get the shifter lower clip off as the exhaust and gearbox get in the way.

I will do a write up next week if you guys remind me. My memory isnt great....:embarrassed
Cheers for that - I'm looking to do some of the cheaper jobs that I've been meaning to do for ages and get them out of the way. :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Cheers for that - I'm looking to do some of the cheaper jobs that I've been meaning to do for ages and get them out of the way. :thumbsup
Ill try my best to do the write up next week, just get the weekend out of the way first...:thumbsup

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one steve, i'm sure plenty of people will greatly appreciate it!

Me being one of them!

:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was having a look at a short shift kit today, B&M kits look like really good quality and a 25% throw reduction but the price was around £160. I too dont like the long throw and play, took abit of time getting used to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
found this by you steve... Good for people reading with an E36.

This is what you need
25 11 7 527 252 Z3 shift lever
25 11 1 220 600 Lever Bush
25 11 220 379 Lower Spring Clip

All these are BMW part numbers and it cost me about £45 ish.
Its the best i have come across without spending a fortune, the shift is nice and crisp without being uncomfortable. If you need any help with fitting ill give you some pointers because ive fitted 5 or 6 of these now.
Sorry if im being a bit simple but i just got a E46 330i Sport and i have found the gear throw a bit sloppy not what i was expecting. Am i right in thinking the above part numbers will fit directly onto my car and reduce the throw? Thanks :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm planning to change all the bushes on mine soon as there is a lot of play (has been since I got it) and found an excellent guide with lots of pics here

Although I decided not to replace everything, well, nearly everything, I've ordered numbers 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 from this diagram which should hopefully sort out most of the problems. It doesn't look like too bad a job, but I reckon it will be a lot more difficult than the guide without the driveshaft removed! Although obviously this doesn't shorten the shift just gets it crisp again ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts